Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #1 
JD3P

Split 10 gallon or Female sorority

Okay so I have a 10 gallon fish tank with a lighted hood coming my way soon. I'm indecisive about whether or not to get 3 male bettas and split the tank three ways, or to start a female sorority. If I was to split the tank what types of materials can I use to separate the fish? Any advice on starting a sorority or keeping males apart without any jumping over or hostility? Thanks.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #2 
Panthera

Definitely a Sorority :D I'm in the process of cycling my tank, but I have all my girls, and it just is so much fun decorating the tank and picking out all the girls. Males are fun too, and if you want to divide it, its really easy to do so. I went to Michael's (Or just go to another craft store) and bough plastic mesh, I got black since its darker but it really doesn't matter. Get 2-3 pieces and then go to a place like Walgreens and get binders that go on the end of book reports. You'll also want to get some Aquarium silicone, Petco has some for $9.99.

Silicone the end of the binders in first and make sure they're even, then a few hours later slide the mesh in. Its a ***** trying to get it in sometimes, but it should work if you cut it properly. Then just wait 24 hours for it to dry, and your good :D

Although a sorority is MUCH more fun. And more Bettas= best choice. :D Good luck!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Although a sorority is MUCH more fun. And more Bettas= best choice. :D Good luck!
Haha that is exactly what I was thinking. I probably will choose to do this, but I need to start researching. From what I've read it's safe to have about 5 females for 10 gallons, is that a good amount? Also what else will I need for the environment? I know I'll need to make a few hiding spots maybe the terra cotta pots, and I plan on keeping plants as well. Now also, should I get all the females in the same day? I've read that if I take them out and change the tank up a bit and put them back in they won't recognize it as their territory, so no fighting. I'd rather choose this option if possible, but if it's not a good idea I won't. Just need some guidance lol.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #4 
Panthera

5 is good, although I'm having 7 for mine and I've heard 5-8 will work out, it really just depends on the individual females. If I were you I'd quarantine the girls for at least 5 days before adding them in, I've had mine for about two weeks in various kritter keepers. If you don't have any, just get some cheap plastic shoe boxes, they only like $1.99 each and are 1 gallon.

Sororities need PLENTY of hiding spots and plants, the girls like it crowded. If you can't buy any caves of other stuff, then terra cotta pots should work out well. Just make sure each girl has a space to call her own. Also try to split up the line of site as much as possible, especially near the surface, they need some time to get away from each other and to have privacy. And yeah it is best to put them in at the same time, but I think if you take them all out and switch it around it should work. Although that'll set off another round of figuring out the alpha :/

Good luck!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #5 
Littlecloud

I don't know much about the topic, but when I was at Petworld looking for hideouts for my new sorority, I saw dividers for tanks. If you decide to go with the split tank, you can buy dividers at pet stores! ^.^
Littlecloud is offline   Reply With Quote