Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy I think he's dying...

Velvet got a severe case of SBD a few days or a week ago. Now he has internal parasites.

The poor thing just lays on the heater all day unless I tap the tank (I do this because I think that he just died... but than he moves again) He never comes out or responds to me. He used to be the most energetic fish in the world.

I've been fasting him this whole time, but it's not helping. I've also given daily water changes with espom salt.

I also put all my money into the sorority and can't afford parasite medication

This Betta is dying and needs help. Right now I just wish I could magically make him appear in one of the great healers on this sites house. I don't know if I can help him and how I can. Velvet is a great fish, and I guess he got parasites from frozen bloodworms (It's super rare but can happen) And the SBD is from not soaking his pellets I think.

Velvet needs something to help him before he dies
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #2 
baylee767

I managed to get some pics, but thier bad ones.
Attached Images

Last edited by baylee767; 12-26-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 
kelly528

SBD can be caused by a number of things, including internal parasites (namely when the fish looses so much weight that it becomes unbalanced). Unfortunately, the only cure for internal parasites is an anti-parasitic. Maybe a friend or family member can loan you the money?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #4 
baylee767

I'll beg my dad who's also into fish. If his SBD is caused from parasites would it make his stomach swell?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #5 
kelly528

Possibly... his G.I. tract could be full of worms, swollen from irritation or even infected due to the parasites.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #6 
baylee767

Okay I'll definatly get a loan from a family member.

Velvet perked up some after yesterdays water change, but of course he still has SBD and parasites. Grrr why do I have to get the bloodworms infested with parasites? Or maybe he ate a bug that fell in the water, IDK what it was, but it is obvously a problem.

Wish me luck! And wish Velvet luck...
Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #7 
baylee767

I found something! How are these?

http://www.amazon.com/TB635-PARASITE...=pd_sim_misc_2

What's annoying me is this.

Me: My fish is really sick can I get him this medicine?

Dad: No honey, no. It's best to just let it naturally come out instead of using chemicals.

Me: Internal parasites don't natuarally come out! And when you include shipping it's only $10.

Dad: Well it's a $2 fish.

Me: *glares*

rawr. But does that medication work well for clearing parasites?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

I don't know about that medication, but what I used for clearing up parasites was pellets soaked in garlic juice. Crush up some garlic, put a few pellets in, microwave for 30 seconds, and there you go. I fed them 3 times a day, and water changes every day, with 1 tbsp of salt per gallon for ten days. How big is his tank? If it's small, then 100% water changes every day... if it's bigger, for example, a five gallon, then I'd do 50% a day.

I have used this method many times (well, four or five roughly) and it has always worked.

Edit- then again, all the fish who had parasites had them in their gills... but since the bettas swallow the garlic juice in the pellet as well, it should work.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 12-28-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #9 
baylee767

Thanks! My dad was very willing to just soak the pellets in garlic juice. And Velvet is a pig so I'm certain he'll eat.

The poor fish has been fasting for a week... I've been doing espom salt 2 tsp/gallon 100% daily water changes. He's in a 1.75 gallon tank and it's kept at a constant 79 degrees. Question: How long does this garlic trick take to work?

I'm starting with 2 pellets a day soaked in garlic juice for 5 - 10 minutes. I had no idea that garlic kills parasites...

JUST WANT TO SAY: Originally Velvets eyes were red. I just read that red eyes are a sign of internal parasites. Recently a small blue spot hass appeared on the bottom of his eyes. I think he's a blue eyed Betta!

Last edited by baylee767; 12-28-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

Yep, garlic's an anti-parasitic. :P

Depending on how many parasites he has, a few weeks to 2, possibly 3 months... for your boy, I'd say maybe 2 months, maybe 2 and a half.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote