Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #1 
crezelda

oooo petsmart here having $2 tropical fish sale

Up here in canuckastan, we don't have black friday, we have boxing day. aka " whatever's leftover gets put on clearance"day. the lps aside from petsmart has a bogo deal i might look into, but they werent that helpful. i asked " okay whats good with a betta, 10g, and 80 degrees?"
" pretty much anything, all depends on the betta"
".... hmmm okay is this sale on tomorow too? okay ima do some homework* buys neccecities and leaves*"

so... heres what i have, and was wondering what would go nice:

1 CT male
1 FW clam
10 gallons at 80degrees
no plants
tests showed the water is a tad alkaline

What can a NOOB deal with? i also don't want to jam the tank tight so non or small schooling fish is best ( or id have neons by now :3)
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #2 
Creat

Almost all tetra are usually a safe choice some cory's are also nice. It really depends on you and what you want. I had a betta live with some livebearers mollies, platy's and guppies :p
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #3 
crezelda

okay, i was told tetras might be a bit much for a 10g, i've allways wanted tetras since theyre so...shiney. guppies are cool too but i can imagine the ones i would want would be too flashy for the male.
i hope my guy is cool... he likes to flare and strut around my filter and sepiroth figurene. i added some hides for other fish. man am i going to have to keep an eye on CL for a 20g now? -.- stupid fish bug...
Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #4 
Malvolti

Nah, 4ish tetras will be fine in a 10 gallon. You just can't really do muchmore than the tetras and betta. I really don't know much about clams though, I've never had the opportunity to own one.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #5 
crezelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
Nah, 4ish tetras will be fine in a 10 gallon. You just can't really do muchmore than the tetras and betta. I really don't know much about clams though, I've never had the opportunity to own one.
i hate to admit the clam kinda followed my CT home... they were marketed specifically as filters for betta bowls o_O maybe that lps is a little full of it lol. so corys or tetras.. hmm
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #6 
Malvolti

Um, yes they are. Clams are filter feeders which means they eat micro-organisms and algae that floats in the tank but they don't clean the water.

Getting non-fancy guppies can be interesting, especially if you can a female or two with a male. Then the Betta can eat the fry and you won't have to feed him for a few days.

You could also look into ghost shrimp but being clear they aren't as much fun to watch.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #7 
crezelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
Um, yes they are. Clams are filter feeders which means they eat micro-organisms and algae that floats in the tank but they don't clean the water.

Getting non-fancy guppies can be interesting, especially if you can a female or two with a male. Then the Betta can eat the fry and you won't have to feed him for a few days.

You could also look into ghost shrimp but being clear they aren't as much fun to watch.
hmm..... the guppies might be interesting, and needing only a few i wont need to fill my tank to capacity.
are there any cleaner things like cories that don't feel lonely?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #8 
Creat

4-5 tetra would be fine escpecially if you get hardy ones. Harlequin/ Rasbora tetra are super hardy and wont cause harm to your betta and will make a nice school. Shrimp are lots of fun I suggest those if your going low maintenance. But I think that those would do better with plants.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #9 
Alex09

Im pretty sure tetras actually like being in larger groups (6-8 at minimum) to feel their most secure, and to watch schooling behavior. Of the smaller tetras, lets say neons or cardinals, you might just get away with adding this number to a 10 gal with ONE betta. Nothing else though. OR I also suggest 1 betta + 3-4 cories OR 1 betta + 3-4 platies. In my experience, platies are excellent algae eaters. Tankmates however, all depends on your betta's temperament.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #10 
JKfish

I've got harlequins, let's just say they need to be an a school of 6 or more, and they're active little buggers in desprate need of a 20 gallon...

From my personal experience (though yours might be different) I'm going from now on with less schooling tankmates, unless the tank is big enough.

Guppies are good idea, though keep an eye out for agression on your betta's part.

With any tankmate, you'll want to have plenty of hiding spots so one or the other can get away from the tankmates in case of agression or stress.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote