Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #11 
wallywestisthebest333

Hey What kind of Fresh Water Clam do you have? Is it the Golden Asian Clam? If so it's only be about 2 inches, if not it'll get bigger, much bigger. Be prepared.

Here's a page (or hub? I've never used that site before. :/ They call everything hubs apparently.) that has some nice information on fresh water clams.

You might want to follow her instructions and keep it in a small apple juice container filled with sand and holes poked in the side because some guy's muscles put their "feet" (what?) in-between the silicone and the glass of their 200 gallon aquarium and shattered it. :/

So yeah. I highly recommend her method with the apple juice container.

Fresh Water Clams produce ammonia and nitrite just like any other animal so you might want to take their size into consideration and use the 1 gallon per inch rule as you would with any other fish. I'd say that this probably limits you to some snails and shrimp depending on what species you bought. I'd find out soon how big it's gonna get.

But yeah until you fins that out I'd wait on planning to stock your aquarium further.

Btw how are you setting up your tank? Are you cycling, planting, or both?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #12 
crezelda

um im slowly cycling it, useing some boosters for it, and doing a 20% change bi weekly. plants im gonna add bamboo latter
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #13 
wallywestisthebest333

Ah yeah then I'd definitely find out how big your clam is gonna get first before stoking it further. Plus it's easier to fish-in cycle when the bioload is low. =]

I'd add tank mates after it's cycled. =]

Good luck with your tank! =]

(Sorry if I sounded weird earlier. My family was constantly bugging me in the middle of posting and in the stress I forgot to add my usual happy emoticons and I misspelled some things! XD)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #14 
crezelda

no problem lol. im sure he/it? is a golden.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #15 
Alex09

A 20% biweekly change is not enough for a 10 gal. ESP whole it's cycling… you may get away with that if your tank is already cycled and its only inhabitant is a betta. so bump up those changes to 20-50% once a week before adding more fish. My fully stocked 10 gal gets a 50% weekly water change with a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #16 
crezelda

er i meant twice weekly lol, not every other week?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #17 
wallywestisthebest333

Well as long as you keep doing the 20% changes twice weekly you should be fine in a 10 gallon while fish-in cycling. You'll definitely want to buy the API Liquid Master Test Kit when you can. They're much more accurate and extremely useful while cycling. =] Then again if you live close enough to a pet store that you can get your water tested there once a week then you'll probably be good to go. =] Having the test kit is just more convenient. =]

Good luck! =] And tell me how keeping your clam goes! =] If I see them on sale I might pick one up myself one day for a small NPT that I plan on doing. =]
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #18 
crezelda

yeah the lps charges $1 but 30 min away is petsmart that does it for free. i think i'll wait longer to let things cycle thru. i wanna borrow parent's camera so i can post pics :3
Old 12-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #19 
small fry

It might be abit late for this but...no tetras in a 10g tank please! Tetra require at least 6 of each kind. The only tetra that are suitable for a 10g, are the ones that are too small to live with bettas. Neons aren't really suitable for a 10g, and bettas will kill them. etc.

I also don't recommend guppies w/ bettas. The betta often mistakes the male guppy for a male betta. It isn't a great mix.

Just get your betta and a small type (not too small) of cory cat (they need at least 4). Bettas will kill GS alot of times, so start out with 1 or 2.

I am not trying to be rude, I just put stuff in bold so it would be easier to read.

Hope this helps!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #20 
crezelda

hehe okay, i'll wait some more... too bad albino cories get big i heard