Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #1 
Creat

Unhappy Bad case of SBD please help

So I got this guy a week ago from a pet store for free cause he was sick. Now I have dealt with swim bladder disorder before but this is really difficult... I got him and heated him up to 80* F and gave him epsom salt up to 2 tsp/ gallon. He got better and started passing food and swimming up right and I let the water fall to 76* and he was fine I was moving him back to a tank which is near 80* but for some reason he started doing his side float thing again and stopped passing food. He looks expanded all down his body especially near his tail. His body next to his tail is swollen but he isnt pine coning in any way. I moved him from his little half gallon which is where he was after he got better to a gallon bowl.
He was:
In a half gallon water changed 100% everyday
Feed 1 pellet a day
and was being weened of epsom salt
Now:
In a gallon changed 100% everyday
heated to 80*
not being fed
back to 1 tsp/gallon of epsom salt
He is more bloated then before and now looks like when I got him :( I feel like I put him back in this state. What can I do for him? If pictures would help I can post some tomorrow.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #2 
Creat

He has perked up with the temp raise should I raise the salt too?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Did you do a full 10 day treatment with the 2tsp/gal Epsom salt and daily water changes? if not, I would recommend a full 10 days...also, I would cover the top of his container with plastic veggie wrap or something to help keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

I would do the 2tsp/gal dose...I have gone up to 3tsp/gal with some chronic swim bladder issues...I also like to use tannins in my treatment water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 
Creat

Will do thank you and yes I did the 10 day treatment before then waited a few days after before deciding to put him in a new tank and thats when it came back.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Dang ...he may be a chronic swim bladder....sometimes it is just too cold and dry air and a cover to keep the air warm and humid will keep them stable...but other times you have to keep them in the Epsom salt a bit longer at lower doses...the Magnesium sulfate doesn't seem to cause long term problems like the Sodium Chloride in my experience......so you may need to keep him in the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal until he straightens out and slowly decrease it to his tolerance and back off on the daily water changes to every 3-4 days depending on the size container you have him in...you have to tweak the Epsom salt and temp to his level and see what works to maintain buoyancy
Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #6 
Creat

Ok right now he is at 80* F with 2 tsp in his gallon bowl. The water was just changed but I will hold off on it for a while longer. How often should I feed him? The last time he ate was 2 days ago and I gave him a single blood worm which hasnt passed through him yet. He still has that large swollen area near his tail its on both sides just a little larger on the left side if that helps I also took some pictures. He seems more active and will try to swim down but end up floating tail end up.
Name:  IMG_0912.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0914.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0915.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and start feeding small frequent meals but not to the point his stomach bloats but you want his tummy to be slightly round.... the area at the base of his tail is the caudal peduncle -on some fish is sticks out more than other and it tend to stick out more with fish that are struggling to swim.

With chronic buoyancy problems and swim bladder issues-if they are struggling a lot sometimes you need to lower the water level for them so it is easier for them to get to air and offer items in the tank close to the top that they can rest on....they tire easily..your goal is to make them comfy...some never get better or swim right-always having the buoyancy issues with an occasional few good days...I am not saying this is what is wrong with your Betta.......just a thought......
Old 12-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #8 
Creat

Well thank you that would help. I will start offering him more places I already gave him some but I will see what I can do for him. And thank you he deserves a good home I got him for free from a pet store.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had 2 bettas that had chronic SBD. They had days when they were fine, then all of a sudden they would be floating on their sides. Other than that they were fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #10 
Creat

Ok thanks guys any other special treatment this guys should have? I havent seen much improvement in his buoyancy but it is there! He managed to touch the bottom today so thats good.