Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 
Ianthe

Sad news...do you think it was tuberculosis?

So, some of you know me, some don't...I have been kind of in and out in the last little while...

I am sad tonight to report that my daughter's fish, "Princess" (yes he was a boy), passed away last night...and I am trying to figure out what happened. I am so sad because while we have cats, and another Betta, Princess was HER first pet. I am also sad because he never seemed to be happy and thriving in the entire time we had him, which was not that long, maybe 6 months?

He struggled from the beginning, had clamped fins and was on the skinny side when we brought him home and it never really improved. He always seemed depressed, didn't swim much, no bubble nests, just never had very much life to him. He ate fine, and no signs of parasites. He was in a few different sizes of tanks, I kept trying to find one that would bring him out of his funk, but nothing did. He was always in heated water with adequate water changes, we feed pellets and the occasional brine shrimp/bloodworm. I have had many bettas over the years that thrived and he just...never did. His neighbor, which we brought home after him, was in much worse condition to start and he has done wonderful.

It makes me sad, usually when you "rescue" a betta in bad shape you get to see that transformation/turnaround and with this guy...it just never happened and I have no idea why.

Anyway, this morning when I went int o wake up my daughter for Kindergarten I noticed he was lifeless at the bottom of his tank :(

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I have done some research and a wondering if it may have been fish TB? In that case do i need to throw everything out that he used? (I have a feeling my daughter is going to want another fish and I don't want to take any chances).

Thanks for listening, I know this was a rambling post, LOL!!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Sadly I have no advice, I don't have any experience with fish TB :( Just wanted to say I remember you, and I'm sending along my hugs to you and the kiddos :( Sorry for your loss.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

TB is incredibly rare, so I doubt it was.

What was his tank size?
Temp of the tank?
How many water changes did you do a week, and how much?
How much did you feed him a day?

I'm sorry you lost him :(
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #4 
Ianthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
TB is incredibly rare, so I doubt it was.

What was his tank size?
Temp of the tank?
How many water changes did you do a week, and how much?
How much did you feed him a day?

I'm sorry you lost him :(
3 gallon, 50% water changes twice a week, 78 degrees, and 3 pellets in the morning, 3 at night...
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #5 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
So, some of you know me, some don't...I have been kind of in and out in the last little while...

I am sad tonight to report that my daughter's fish, "Princess" (yes he was a boy), passed away last night...and I am trying to figure out what happened. I am so sad because while we have cats, and another Betta, Princess was HER first pet. I am also sad because he never seemed to be happy and thriving in the entire time we had him, which was not that long, maybe 6 months?

He struggled from the beginning, had clamped fins and was on the skinny side when we brought him home and it never really improved. He always seemed depressed, didn't swim much, no bubble nests, just never had very much life to him. He ate fine, and no signs of parasites. He was in a few different sizes of tanks, I kept trying to find one that would bring him out of his funk, but nothing did. He was always in heated water with adequate water changes, we feed pellets and the occasional brine shrimp/bloodworm. I have had many bettas over the years that thrived and he just...never did. His neighbor, which we brought home after him, was in much worse condition to start and he has done wonderful.

It makes me sad, usually when you "rescue" a betta in bad shape you get to see that transformation/turnaround and with this guy...it just never happened and I have no idea why.

Anyway, this morning when I went int o wake up my daughter for Kindergarten I noticed he was lifeless at the bottom of his tank :(

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I have done some research and a wondering if it may have been fish TB? In that case do i need to throw everything out that he used? (I have a feeling my daughter is going to want another fish and I don't want to take any chances).

Thanks for listening, I know this was a rambling post, LOL!!

Hi Lanthe,

Sorry about losing fishie :(

It sounds like he just had a rough time, some Bettas won’t bounce back from treatment they receive at pet stores.

Tuberculosis
•Symptoms: Fish will start acting sick for no apparent reason. They could just die. Symptoms include weight loss, lethargy, open sores, deformities (scoliosis, bent spine), raised scales, fin and tail rot, gray lesions, and many others. Generally, if your fish are dying in large amounts everyday, it is probably TB. BEWARE HUMANS CAN CONTRACT TUBERCULOSIS FROM FISH, IT IS A POTENTIALLY DEADLY DISEASE.
•Treatment: There is no known cure, it will generally kill all fish that come in contact with it. It is highly contagious. Bleach does not kill it so throw away all supplies...

I myself wouldn’t suspect TB as the culprit. One thing that most aquarist TB articles outline is the inclusion of raised scales, bent spine and open/grey sores/lesions. If you are really concerned a biopsy will need to be undertaken to clarify if it was the culprit, any equipment that came into contact with Princess will need to be disposed of and handled with care whilst doing so.

Unfortunately I can’t tell with certainty whether it is or isn’t TB. But if you feel that from the symptoms it could be, get rid of the equipment immediately.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hmm, sounds all normal to me.
Did you happen to test his ammonia/nitrates at all?

It could be that he just had a really hard time at the pet store. Some fish don't come back from improper, long-term treatment. I don't think it was TB, though. So you don't have to pitch all of your equipment. I'd just use hot water and a small portion of bleach. Rinse it really thoroughly and let it sit out for 2-3 days before adding water/another fish in it.
TB also shows symptoms of a curved spine and huge lesions.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote