Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #1 
CalicoKitties

Exclamation Ripped tail (fin rot?)

Hi guys.

My betta, Nimbus, recently ripped up his caudal fin. I don't know if he was biting his tail or if he ripped it on something, but the only thing in his tank he could've ripped it on would be his "betta hammock", the little fake leaf that you stick on the side of the tank. I promptly took it out (he never liked it anyway) of the tank and I've kept his tank clean. I just wanted to show y'all a picture to make sure he doesn't have fun rot or something because I don't know the signs to look for. He's been acting fine, eating fine, etc.

I'll attach a pic. Thanks - any advice is greatly appreciated!

Extra info: I haven't had nimbus very long; I got him on August 25th. He's in a heated & filtered 2.5g tank (I am aware that it's the smallest possible tank for a betta. I'd like to upgrade it in the future).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	630186  

Last edited by CalicoKitties; 09-12-2015 at 12:48 PM.
CalicoKitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #2 
CalicoKitties

Here's a pic of his tail before he ripped it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	630194  
Old 09-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #3 
meowrisa

looks kinda like biting
if the missing chunks are u shaped its from a grumpy lil mouth

if you think it's the leaf though you can always make ur own with some silk plant leaves, a pack of suction cups, and aq. silicone (or non toxic hot glue if ur poor af like me lol)
meowrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #4 
CalicoKitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowrisa View Post
looks kinda like biting
if the missing chunks are u shaped its from a grumpy lil mouth

if you think it's the leaf though you can always make ur own with some silk plant leaves, a pack of suction cups, and aq. silicone (or non toxic hot glue if ur poor af like me lol)
Hmm.. It could be biting; he does seem to get annoyed by his tail sometimes.

I would try to make him another leaf for him, but he didn't even seem to like it lol. I never saw him sit in it, not even once. He seems to prefer sitting on the river rocks at the bottom or the moss balls.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #5 
Mousie

As long as you stay on top of gravel and filter maintenance and stay religious about water changes (ie; pristine water chemistry) there should be no fear of fin rot, columnaris, or saprolegnia setting in.

Kordon Fish Protector can be used safely with every single water change. It helps to repair ripped fins, and does a lot of other things too.

With how many betta bite their own fins I would think that product would be heavily used in this community. I use it in all my tanks with every water change.

Edit: Your avatar is so adorable!
Mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #6 
CalicoKitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
As long as you stay on top of gravel and filter maintenance and stay religious about water changes (ie; pristine water chemistry) there should be no fear of fin rot, columnaris, or saprolegnia setting in.

Kordon Fish Protector can be used safely with every single water change. It helps to repair ripped fins, and does a lot of other things too.

With how many betta bite their own fins I would think that product would be heavily used in this community. I use it in all my tanks with every water change.

Edit: Your avatar is so adorable!
How often do you think I should change the water for now? I usually just do weekly. Thing is, he gets very stressed when I do WC's (to the point that he shows his stress stripes).
The water straight out of the sink has a nitrate level of 20-30, so I'm considering using store-bought water so the tank will have lower nitrates.. is this a good idea?

I'll definitely look into the Kordon product!

P.S. thanks! I drew it for my blog ;)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #7 
Mousie

The Kordon Fish Protector is specifically designed to calm fish, so this would be just one of the benefits to using it with your water changes. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to completely stop them from stressing. You just have to do the best you can with slow and easy water changes.

It sounds like you're doing great with your weekly changes. You can try doing one small one in the middle of the week. Perhaps just use a measuring or coffee cup to slowly remove some old tank water and slowly add treated water back in. Maybe even dimming the lights while you do so.

Because he gets stressed so easily, (and if you aren't already) you may want to consider adding Boyds VitaChem to his water also. Vitamins are always a good thing. Are you feeding a food that contains garlic? Garlic is really good for their immune system.

With the nitrate from the tap being what it is, what does it look like in the tank right before you do your weekly water change? Just curious.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #8 
CalicoKitties

Quote:
The Kordon Fish Protector is specifically designed to calm fish, so this would be just one of the benefits to using it with your water changes. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to completely stop them from stressing. You just have to do the best you can with slow and easy water changes.

It sounds like you're doing great with your weekly changes. You can try doing one small one in the middle of the week. Perhaps just use a measuring or coffee cup to slowly remove some old tank water and slowly add treated water back in. Maybe even dimming the lights while you do so.

Because he gets stressed so easily, (and if you aren't already) you may want to consider adding Boyds VitaChem to his water also. Vitamins are always a good thing. Are you feeding a food that contains garlic? Garlic is really good for their immune system.

With the nitrate from the tap being what it is, what does it look like in the tank right before you do your weekly water change? Just curious.
I'll look into the vitachem as well; I haven't heard of either of these products lol. And, I've heard about feeding them food soaked in garlic juice (or something like that), but I haven't tried it yet.

The tank looks the same as it always does lol. Nitrates don't change the appearance of the water, really. Or were you talking about what the nitrate levels are before WC's?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #9 
Mousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoKitties View Post
I'll look into the vitachem as well; I haven't heard of either of these products lol. And, I've heard about feeding them food soaked in garlic juice (or something like that), but I haven't tried it yet.

The tank looks the same as it always does lol. Nitrates don't change the appearance of the water, really. Or were you talking about what the nitrate levels are before WC's?

Yes, sorry. That's what I meant.

New Life Spectrum foods already contain garlic. I had purchased Seachem GarlicGuard prior to changing foods to NLS, so I already had a bottle of it. Sometimes I will add a few drops to thawed brine shrimp and bloodworms just so I can use it up. Other times I may add it to medicated fish food. I was just wondering if you add it to your food, or if the food you use has it.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #10 
CalicoKitties

Quote:
Yes, sorry. That's what I meant.

New Life Spectrum foods already contain garlic. I had purchased Seachem GarlicGuard prior to changing foods to NLS, so I already had a bottle of it. Sometimes I will add a few drops to thawed brine shrimp and bloodworms just so I can use it up. Other times I may add it to medicated fish food. I was just wondering if you add it to your food, or if the food you use has it.
I've been feeding him omega one betta buffet; I don't think it has garlic. Wanted to feed him NLS, but my pet store didn't have it, so I went for the next best thing. :)

Ah, my apologies lol ;) I try not to let the nitrates go over 40ppm. But like I said, I'm probably going to switch to store-bought water to lower the nitrates.