Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #1 
AlwaysAnimals

What are your feelings on dividers?

I've gotten the feeling that maybe there are conflicting opinions on if a divided tank stresses bettas... specifically, I mean in the case of them slightly beeing able to see each other. I am new to the dividers... I made a mesh one for my tank because I have the two baby bettas and one of the first posts I read on here after I first joined mentioned how to make one. I thought "Hey, cool idea!" But I've been on here a while now and wondering if it is as popular as it seemed when I first looked into it. Flash, my male, gets sooo worked up when Lava (my assumed female) goes near it. Thoughts?
Also, if it's frowned upon, are there alternative dividers? I can't get another tank so I plan on sticking with a divided one, but are there better materials to make them out of so they can't see each other?
AlwaysAnimals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #2 
cujiine

I've now got two divided tanks, both with DIY craft mesh dividers. I've only had a slight issue with my first attempts at dividing a tank that I didn't realize was slightly larger at the top of the tank than at the bottom, and one of my bettas slipped through. Luckily I had it double divided at the time to try and keep the filter flow from bothering either betta.

2/4 of my bettas are fairly aggressive when it comes to the dividers. They're flaring just about any time the other betta gets near the divider. Thankfully Mairo has calmed down a bit and doesn't seem super bothered by Nebby's shadow on the mesh. I think it takes some time to get used to the divider.
cujiine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #3 
Reccka

I know I like mine. Similar issue, I had one breach when I first set it up and luckily no one was hurt. Haven't had an issue with that since I corrected it. 3/4 of my bettas are fine with it. Only my most aggressive boy had to be moved because he was stressing. Two flared up for about the first week they were in it, then got over it. The last has never flared at all and is my least aggressive betta. Now they swim by each other along the divider and seem to mostly ignore each other. They occasionally look at each other through it face to face, but no flaring and it doesn't last long.

I hear if you double up on the black craft mesh, they shouldn't be able to see each other.

Overall, I like my divided tank a lot. Makes caring for 3 bettas at the same time a breeze.
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

I think divided tanks are fine and a good way to save space. I personally would not divide tanks smaller than 10 gallons.

I just use mesh and then use plants to try to block their view from each other.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #5 
kjg1029

i have two divided ten gals, they work great. i just either use two dividers (two layers work too) or alot of plants to "line" the divider.

i like how you can care for two bettas in one tank, the one tank only requires 1 40%pwc a week because its a ten gal, instead of two pwc a week on two smaller tanks! and 5 gals is perfect smaller size lol.
you can see in my picture the divider, ive since bought them all live plants though! no more fake! lol

Last edited by kjg1029; 11-06-2014 at 09:56 PM.
kjg1029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

You can use two dividers. Put the heater and filter in the middle. That way they aren't right next to each other although the female will still be letting loose those phermones.

When I divided my tank using one divider I placed a piece of 2" mesh over the top of the divider like a "T" to keep them from breaching.

How long have you had them in the tank? Eventually they will stop flaring. Most people don't give them long enough to adjust. It can take two or three weeks. And as long as it isn't a continuous flariing no matter where Lava might be I wouldn't worry about it. Occasional flaring isn't a bad thing.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #7 
kjg1029

yes! i forgot to say mine use to have the space in the middle for the HOB filter and heater, it worked really well, they never noticed eachother!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1029 View Post
yes! i forgot to say mine use to have the space in the middle for the HOB filter and heater, it worked really well, they never noticed eachother!
I would divide my tanks this way as well!
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #9 
kjg1029

yeah! its really nice! they enjoy their homes!:) and a ten gal isnt unreasonable to have, size wise
Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #10 
MameJenny

I have a divided 10 gal with three sections. The bettas do really nicely. There was a lot of flaring for the first few days, but after that, they stopped noticing each other. I've kept my current three in individual tanks, and none of them seem any more stressed than they were in their old tanks. I think divided tanks are great.

I had a small breach - the light fell on a divider and it partially fell - but I never did figure out if they realized. Eclipse got a few bites in his tail, but that was it. (He's a tail biter, so it might have been a coincidence.) It was strange.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote