Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #11 
TRISHIESfishie

my betta Mako asociated me with a trauma and was terrified of me. Anytime I came near the tank he would go into a panicked frenzy. it took about a week for him to realize he was safe with me and now he comes right to me. And if I have to touch his water he is right there along side me. once he realized I am where the food comes from he became my best friend lol
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #12 
Toshichi

Thumbs up

Thank you every one for all your replies and answers, and feed back. I feel a little better about him now that I know he's just getting use to me. I'll give him some time to adjust then :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiepbg View Post
Just give him space the first day or two. Feed him, but try not to spend a lot of time too close to the glass. After he's settled into his home, wait until feeding time. Lightly touch your finger on the glass and trace a line from where he is to his feeding spot, then drop a piece of food in for him. Let him find the food for himself before repeating. The first couple times, he'll skitter away when he sees your finger touch the glass near him, but bettas are smart fish. After a few days, he'll notice the pattern and start following your finger. After he associates people near him with food, he'll be more likely to come up and investigate you when you get near the glass, rather than running away. My older betta will follow me in circles around his 10 gallon, just waiting for the food to drop.
I have him set up on my desk shelf pretty much in front of my face about 2 feet away is that too close then? o.o
And thank you for that feeding tip I'll try that :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
I'm afraid to say this, but it might seem like that's just your fish's personality. That's why before I purchase a Betta, I try to check out his personality. You can tell a lot by just holding him up.
I didn't exactly get to pick him out as he was a Christmas present, I hope thats not the case tho, don't want the little buddy to always be afraid of me
:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
... does he have a cave to hide in? Providing them with shelter such as caves and plants is crucial. If you give him secure places to hide, he will get over it eventually and before you know it he will be zooming up to investigate whenever you look in his tank :)
Yep he has a cave and a plastic plant. He usually hides in his plant tho, only seen him in his cave once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISHIESfishie View Post
my betta Mako asociated me with a trauma and was terrified of me. Anytime I came near the tank he would go into a panicked frenzy. it took about a week for him to realize he was safe with me and now he comes right to me. And if I have to touch his water he is right there along side me. once he realized I am where the food comes from he became my best friend lol
Awwwe I hope my fishy becomes my best friend too xD thats why Im worried about him.

but it looks like he just afraid of me at first.

Thank you every one for your feed back has been really helpful .
Toshichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #13 
HayrideHaunter

@Jessie: thanks for the tip from me too! I never thought about that...I plan on trying it with Marbles

@Toshichi: good luck!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #14 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Ease up on him. He may have been a fresh transfer from the Warehouse to the Petshop and still getting acclimated.

Eventually he will associate you with FOOD.
Darn you beat me too it!

I think thats all I am to Drax is the "Big shape that makes Food Appear."
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #15 
DazzleKitty

I think it's in the nature of some of them to be more skittish. I have three bettas -two of them seem to "like" me and will come up to the side of their tank/bowl to look at me. They also eat their food when given to them.

But the third one is a different story. I've had him since early November and he has not gotten used to me. He will almost always hide when I walk up to his bowl and he sees me. He spends most of his time sleeping or hiding in his cave. I have NOT ONCE seen him eat since I got him. I'm worried about him actually eating at all. The food sits at the top of his bowl and I eventually have to remove. His water gets dirty the fastest because he doesn't eat much. Apparently he must be getting sustenance from somewhere since he looks healthy and apparently isn't starving.

It could be in his nature. Or you could try hard to get him more used to you. I don't think I'm trying hard enough to get my skittish by used to me. The other two came home with me as 'social butterflies' so they got more attention from the beginning. :P
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #16 
HayrideHaunter

wow...Marbles suddenly warmed up to me like crazy! He learned pretty quickly that my finger = where the food will be...and now he follows me around my room when I'm there. He still startles pretty easily, but he's much more "social"
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #17 
Larry69

I'm jealous on you, sir :( My Betta used to like me and sit on my hand, but now I'm just freaking him out
Larry69 is offline   Reply With Quote