Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #1 
small fry

Betta Emergency! Cold water tempretures!

Hi.

This isn't my betta, Tony, that is in trouble. This is my sister's CT male, Luke.

We went on a trip reciently, leaveing on Christmas eve and getting back today, post Christmas (the day after Christmas). All my fish tanks have heaters (except for the ramshorns), but Luke didn't have a heater.

When we got home from our trip, Luke was lying spread out across the gravel. We checked on the temp and it read 40*F! What do we do with Luke?? He looks awful! He is barely breathing.

We put the 50W heater (from another 5g tank) into Luke's tank and waited for 15 or so minutes (my dad want an explaination why the heater needs to be left off for 15 minutes). What do we do next? Do we need to unplug it every once in a while to keep the temp from riseing to fast?

What else do we do? The water is 40*F and rising.

Thanks.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #2 
fredythefish

is it an adjustable heater?
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #3 
small fry

Oh yes, I forgot about that! Yes. I think the range is between 69 - 89*F. I don't know what it is set to right now.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 
Malvolti

Although your instinct may be to raise the temp fast you need to go slowly. Too fast may make the fish more sick.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #5 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
Although your instinct may be to raise the temp fast you need to go slowly. Too fast may make the fish more sick.
I know. That is why I ask if I needed to unplug the heater. I think that I might need to unplug it for about 5 minutes because the water has risen 7*. The temp has risen 1* every 4 minutes. That is the rate the water is riseing. I think it might be too fast, but please give your opinion.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #6 
small fry

The water has risen 10*F in the last 30min. My parents want the water to heat up faster, but I think that this has been way too much of a tempreture fluctuation. The heater has been unplugged for about 7 minutes. The family is begging to plug the heater back in. What should I do?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #7 
small fry

Ok, the temp dropped to 49 (it was at 50*). They plugged in the heater. I told them not to let the temp rise more than 2 degrees in 10 minutes. Is this rate too fast/slow?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd not let it rise more than about 2 or 3 degrees in 10 minutes so yeah I'd say you're right.

I know they're worried but you should remind them that bettas can be relatively hardy fish. And that another temperature shock (even if it's from heating the tank) will probably kill him. So they need to be patient and just keep an eye on him.

Is he still in his tank or are you floating him in a cup? If you're not floating him in a cup you might want to do so now. Leave just enough water to cover him so that it's easier for him to breathe.

The water in the cup should heat at about the same rate as the rest of the water in the tank.

You still have the cup he came in correct? That's the ideal cup to float him in.

I hope Luke makes it! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

You are correct, you don't want to raise the temp too fast, however, 40F is pretty low-you may want to get the temp up to at least 70F within the hour-if he was kept in clean conditions and healthy to start hopefully he will be able to handle it....once you get him to 70F...slow down and don't go over 76F and tomorrow I would make a 50% water only change-unless he start to act sick and then I would go ahead and do a partial water change and add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and then daily for several days and see how he reacts-if he start to act like his normal self and begs for food-feed him small amount several times a day and over the next couple of days slowly get the temp to 78F....good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #10 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I'd not let it rise more than about 2 or 3 degrees in 10 minutes so yeah I'd say you're right.

I know they're worried but you should remind them that bettas can be relatively hardy fish. And that another temperature shock (even if it's from heating the tank) will probably kill him. So they need to be patient and just keep an eye on him.

Is he still in his tank or are you floating him in a cup? If you're not floating him in a cup you might want to do so now. Leave just enough water to cover him so that it's easier for him to breathe.

The water in the cup should heat at about the same rate as the rest of the water in the tank.

You still have the cup he came in correct? That's the ideal cup to float him in.

I hope Luke makes it! <3
I'll try that. I am just worried that the material of the cup wont allow much tempreture change. Luke is a Walmart betta, if that helps determine the type of cup he is in. I think my sister still has the cup. I'll check.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You are correct, you don't want to raise the temp too fast, however, 40F is pretty low-you may want to get the temp up to at least 70F within the hour-if he was kept in clean conditions and healthy to start hopefully he will be able to handle it....once you get him to 70F...slow down and don't go over 76F and tomorrow I would make a 50% water only change-unless he start to act sick and then I would go ahead and do a partial water change and add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and then daily for several days and see how he reacts-if he start to act like his normal self and begs for food-feed him small amount several times a day and over the next couple of days slowly get the temp to 78F....good luck and keep us posted.....
So I can put the heater on 70*F and while he is in the cup. After the water rises to 70, then what do I do? What rate should I heat the tank after that?

Thanks!

The temp is at 55*F. With a 50W heater, the temp will rise very rapidly if the heater isn't occasionally unplugged. I guess I am asking if we should let the heater run all the way without stopping would be Ok, because it will rise pretty fast.

Thanks!