Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #1 
chargers505

Can someone help me with cycling my tank?

It's a 2.5 gallon tank and I'm using the "fish-in" method. Today will be the second day that the fish have been in the tank. So how does the schedule go? Change 50% of the water daily? Or every other day? Should I vaccum the gravel? Please help.

My other question is...what is the single most important water conditioner that a betta needs? Stress reliever? Ammonia remover? Biological additive? What do you recommend?
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5gal filtered tank I would make 50% water changes twice weekly and vacuum with one of the twice weekly water changes and make a 50% water only change any time you see any behavior change in the Betta...don't overfeed and have 1 day a week fast.

Make your first 50% water only change on day 3 and your first 50% water change and vacuum on day 7 and schedule your regular water changes on those day of the week

Less chemical additives the better IMO/E-a good quality dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloriamine and heavy metals like Prime by SeaChem
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #3 
chargers505

Awesome! I will buy Prime. Sounds like a great product. Thank you for the help.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 
chargers505

I read the product description for Prime and it says that it removes ammonia. Wouldn't that be a bad thing since I'm trying to cycle my tank? Because I need the supply of ammonia so it can promote the growth of good bacteria?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What prime does is change the ammonia to ammonium the the nitrifying bacteria can use to cycle but will not harm the fish.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #6 
chargers505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a 2.5gal filtered tank I would make 50% water changes twice weekly and vacuum with one of the twice weekly water changes and make a 50% water only change any time you see any behavior change in the Betta...don't overfeed and have 1 day a week fast.

Make your first 50% water only change on day 3 and your first 50% water change and vacuum on day 7 and schedule your regular water changes on those day of the week

Less chemical additives the better IMO/E-a good quality dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloriamine and heavy metals like Prime by SeaChem
So after the tank has been cycled, do I continue the routine? Or do I do 50% water change one week and 50% water change and gravel vacuum the next?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

On 2.5g filter tanks-I have found doing twice weekly 50% water change with one clean the substrate to maintain water quality for the life of the tank.....even after the cycle due to the fins and keeping them healthy, however, once the cycle is complete it will give wiggle room so to speak when life happens and you can only get to one of the water changes that week...usually once cycled and you are not overfeeding- the tank will stay stable as far as the ammonia goes...but bacteria/pathogens can build up that can cause the fins to degrade...with long fin Betta delicate fins some of the water changes is for that.....much easier to prevent than to treat......