Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Stuck... can't make up mind.

Part of me wants to just separate the tank and get a second male for Drax to flare at and mess with etc etc...

Then the other part of me wants to get community fish...

10Gal tank, heated, some live plants, well lit, ... pretty much cycled...

Pros of 2nd Betta: Less work... Drax has a buddy to flare at.

Cons I split Drax's home in half where now he pretty much goes all over the tank... seems mean to take him from a vase... give him a whole 10gal that he seems to LOVE then cut that in half.

Pros of Community fish... More bang for my buck on that expensive tank, parents will approve since they love Drax now... but would like more fish to look at. Drax can play and or bully all he wants (Hopefully not too much I wouldn't stop him if he just lightly tailbit... now if tails start vanishing thats another story). I've now gotten myself fully into this hobby and I'm still as giddy as when I first got Drax so not like my OCD like care is going to suddenly vanish with more upkeep. Unless I got tank cleaners...

Cons... more upkeep. Possible diseases spreading. Feeding differences. Fighting... which I wouldn't mind much as long as like... no one looses a fin or an eye but Promise I won't come on here every 5 minutes with new threads going. "Drax is flaring at all the other fish! UGH!" Or get stressed out. This tank...
*Dons Sunglasses* is to be the ...... chilllllllllllll tank
YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Oh what fish was it I saw that if it's compatible at ALL is an instant MUST have... they were all in the Petsmart tanks just swimming up to me as if going. "PICK ME! :D PICK ME! :D" I swear it was either one of the Pleco's or... Loaches... it was grey-ish and were dozens of them at the bottom of the tank... gosh in the fish world it was equivalent of having dozens of adorable puppies rushing at you they seemed so excited XD if I was to put my money on it... I'd assume it was the Hifin Spotted Pleco THEIR SO CUTE!
*Glares* Think hard Betta Experts... Would Pleco's be a......

Disastrous (Murder within minutes),
Experimental (Depends on the fish's personalities, monitor them closely),
Ok (Ignore eachother),
Curious (Mild interaction),
Friendly (They play tag).

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...|Fish&view=all My Selections... OOOooh they Sell CrownTails!

... also what weirdo created the Red Lionhead Goldfish? Some of those Goldfish were just... like... WTH... is up with that...

Anyway back on topic since I'm now distracted by the fish pictures... oooh they have Black Ghost Knife's!

*Slaps self across face* OK back on topic!

... as I said with the Goldfish... the hell is wrong with these Cichlids? They all ... well some just look fake >,>

Ooooh Mystery Snail! *Yep he's lost in fish World... Please help, Tetra's just... eh... just didn't wow me* I want other fish that say... "I'm owned by an Insane But VERY Creative person!" ....... and don't say the creepy fake hybrid fish! I want healthy natural ones............ that are colorful... like PLECO'S :D

(Yep... please slap me at ANY time)

Last edited by doggyhog; 12-29-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: language
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 
shinybetta

*Slap* I would go with community. I don't think their are any plecos OK for a ten gallon. They all grow very big. Neon Tetras, female guppies or non fancy guppies, dojo loach, cory cats, shrimp, platy's, clams would all be okay. White cloud minnows and rosy red minnows to.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
*Slap* I would go with community. I don't think their are any plecos OK for a ten gallon. They all grow very big. Neon Tetras, female guppies or non fancy guppies, dojo loach, cory cats, shrimp, platy's, clams would all be okay. White cloud minnows and rosy red minnows to.
*Gets Slapped*

NO MY PLANS OF WORLD DOMINATION THROUGH THE USE OF MUTANT PLECO'S RUINED! (didn't realize I could click the pics and see the obvious 55+gal requirements)

... Dojo Loach? *Looks up*
OH THEIR GORGEOUS!
*Drax perks up*
... and... of course so are you...
*Drax goes back to doing mysterious things in his little cave*
Seriously... whats he doing in there? Pot?

Oohh... wouldn't I have to get like several though? *Cringes* or is one fine...

Hmm I really want to do a color spectrum thing... Drax is Red... or... damn... him being a Marble so I don't really know what to classify him as now!

Can you all tell I didn't sleep? XD And am on ALOT of painkillers Doncha just LOVE Migraines? (Hence the loopy-ness... more than he normally is)
and yes I am 20yrs old believe it or not and on the Deans list...
I'm not Crazy, I'm just DELIGHTFULLY Insane!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 
DormDrax

Bottomline...
(I think I say that too much)

If you have a favorite Community fish you want to push on someone like a religion... go for it. Colors and personality... and Uniqueness keep that in mind...

Come on fish lovers! Try and sell me on your Favorite Community fish for Betta's!
(If said fish chosen has issues it will be returned immediately and you will not get somehow blamed)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #5 
DormDrax

... ok ok went on another site and read alot and pretty much I'd end up feeling terrible putting a Dojo Loach in there since they love to swim around.

What about a few kuhli loaches?

*Puppy Dog Eyes* If you give me the green light I promise to set up a a soft bedding for entire floor of the tank.
I know it's easier to clean not having much on the bottom... but I'm so sick of seeing the glass bottom >,>

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummaga...kuhliloach.htm

Read that... Too late... say hello to Drax's possible new tank mates

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 
crowntail lover

Cories are great little fish! And they would be my favorite community fish! They come in MANY different colors and have great personality.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #7 
shinybetta

Sorry, I meant kuhli loach. They like to be in 3 plus groups, and that shouldn't be overstocking. Just be sure to get sand or very soft soil if you get some.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #8 
Sweeda88

I, personally, would get platies. I've never had them, but I've heard they do well with Betta, and they come in a lot of different colors. Just don't get the Hi-Fin platies. Your Betta might confuse them with his own kind.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I, personally, would get platies. I've never had them, but I've heard they do well with Betta, and they come in a lot of different colors. Just don't get the Hi-Fin platies. Your Betta might confuse them with his own kind.
Platies are fine if you only house females as they are livebearers so they breed like crazy!!.. so you will need to know how to sex them.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

They're easy to sex. If they have the pointy, modified anal fins, they're male. If they're the regular anal fins, they're females.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote