Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #1 
BabyBalooga

Unhappy Thought I was making my fish happy. What happened??

So my third Betta fish over the years passed today. I'm wondering what happened. Basically the entire story is I had my first fish who lasted many years. He was awesome but then my next fish did not make it very long so I made it a point to take really good care of my new fish. I didnt get him very long ago. Maybe a month or two. This winter has been very cold so for Christmas I decided to get his tank a heater along with a few accesories that I thought my betta would like. About a day and a half ago I cleaned the tank, put in new accesories, and put the heater in. He was fine and active at first but then he began to not get very active. Then he started to not eat his food. I read that he might be stressed so it might give him some time to get used to the temperatute change. Then today my fish was just floating towards the top. He had passed I want to avoid this when I get a new fish. Can anyone tell me what happened?? The heater was also one that only stays on 78 degrees so I didnt think it was too hot.
BabyBalooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #2 
bettafish15

What size is your tank? How many water changes do you do?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #3 
BabyBalooga

My tank is 1-2 gallons I know not big but enough room for him to swim a few body distances and its the same tank I had for my other fish. The heater was also for small tanks.
I changed all the water for this one cause I needed to put down some new rocks and accessories and install the heater.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I meant how often did you change the water in his tank, once a week, every other day, every month...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 
BabyBalooga

Well I've only had this fish for a month or two. I changed it a couple times.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #6 
chargers505

Did you do a water test? Filtered or unfiltered tank? Ammonia levels could've been high... :( I'm sorry.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBalooga View Post
Well I've only had this fish for a month or two. I changed it a couple times.
In a 1-2 gallon tank you'd have needed to do 100% water changes every other day... It's possible the ammonia just got too high. Sorry again about your loss. :/ Now you know for next time.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #8 
DormDrax

*Sips Tea*

I'll just say what needs to be said...

Keep in mind the fish could have been ill from the start, there dozens of factors that you perhaps had no control over, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Although the more info you lend us, the more specific we can be on what happened.
Picture of the tank would be most appreciated...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #9 
BabyBalooga

I treated him the same that I treated the other fishes I had. Same water too. I use spring water for the tanks.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #10 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBalooga View Post
I treated him the same that I treated the other fishes I had. Same water too. I use spring water for the tanks.

Thanks.
*Pours more tea*

As I said... You may have done nothing wrong.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

There is one condition on their listed (Toward the bottom) it's rare but it can sometimes (WITH NO SYMPTOMS) just... kill your poor betta. It is a possibility.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
died, heater