Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #11 
Omboc

I purchased the same a few days back. Someone suggested getting Pygmy Corries as a possible tank mate, we'll have to wait and see. Platies sound good too though, now you've got me thinking.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #12 
scootshoot

Ghost shrimp, Platy's and Cory's in that order for me.

Ghost shrimp are amazing creatures. In my 5 regardless of plantation and a cave to hide in, they didn't do too well due to minimal footprint to hide and move around when my Betta decided to pick on em.

I am expecting they will flourish in the 14. The tank will be large enough so they don't stick out like a sore thumb when my boy swims around looking for a challenge.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #13 
crowntail lover

You have to be careful with Ghost Shrimp though.. Sometimes the will shred Male Bettas fins..
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #14 
shinybetta

They will only shred the fishes fins if they are VERY hungry. And there are several species sold under the Ghost Shrimp name.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #15 
scootshoot

The hands or pincers of a "True" Ghost shrimp anatomy is a non threat both in defense and risk of fin damage. If a betta is allowing a true ghost shrimp to pinch at his fins the betta in question obviously is a very old betta on its last legs with the reflexes of a three-toed sloth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tfsL...eature=related.

Last edited by scootshoot; 01-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #16 
SwimmySwam

Alright, so I bought my food, vacuum, water conditioner, gravel, and a fake piece of tall driftwood with plenty of hiding spaces. I even got 2 marigold variatus and a red wag platy which are now floating in a bag around the aquarium. I'll be adding them when the water is around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I already added the Tetra Safe Start to the tank. I'll be adding some plants and the neon tetras in two weeks.

My questions now are when should I add my betta? Or should I even add him? He was flaring quite a bit at the platies when I put them near his tank.

Also, the worker at the pet store gave me two male platies and one female. Should I keep them and see if the males behave somewhat or should I switch the males for females? And if I do keep the males, what's a good way to prevent reproduction?
SwimmySwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #17 
SwimmySwam

I added my betta like an hour ago. He's chasing the platies and flaring. Nothing else, though. The platies aren't bullying each other either. I'll keep checking up on them but they seem fine.

Water parameters seem fine, as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #18 
Cravenne

If you have one male and two female platys, be prepared for fry..and lots of them. Those things are like guppies...constantly having babies. You can't stop reproduction...it just happens...constantly. They will make babies, then the babies will make babies..
Some may get eaten if you don't overfeed the tank..just be prepared to do something with the rest.

My guppy fry become treats for my cichlids now..
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #19 
SwimmySwam

Alright, I got 6 more platies so I'm not as worried about the 1 male for every 2 female ratio anymore. I got 4 cherry barbs, too. My betta's still flaring and chasing everyone around but I'm not worried about that. I got some plants, and I plan to get more. I realize my tank is pretty overstocked but I plan on doing 50% water changes every weekend and getting another filter. Water parameters look good. Fish look good.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #20 
SwimmySwam

Okay, I took my betta out; decided to give him and the other fish a break. I might get another filter. my fish tank is still over stocked a bit, but I plant to change out 43% of the water each weekend.