Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 
Malvolti

Help Identify Plant

SO I was out the other day checking all the fish stores as I regularly do when I found one of them got a shipment of Anubias, I have a hard time finding anubias or anacharis around here. I told them I wanted some anubias and they gave me a nice healthy looking plant. YAY! Finally something with nice leaves for my Betta to sleep on.

When I got home I found several small leaves floating in the water with my Anubias. I figured whatever, they'll probably die and feed my shrimp and snail. Boy was I wrong, not only have they survived but now they are growing roots. I have no clue what they are so I figured I would post a picture here and see what you think.

I'm sure if I go to the store and look at their plants I could figure it out but this is more fun and the store is an hour away.

The two on the left don't show roots in this picture but the one on the right you can just make out the root at the bottom.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-28-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #2 
Alex09

Umm.... where is the pic?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Huh, the picture shows fine for me. Tried something different, hopefuly it will show now.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #4 
Alex09

Nope. here do this

1. Upload pic to http://imageshack.us/
2. Click on the pic and copy the url adress (it should in in .jpg, .png, something like that)
3. Paste the pic into [IMG][/IMG] tags.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #5 
Malvolti

Oh, I know how to post pictures. What I did usually works, not sure why it has decided not to today. I tried fixing the post again and if it still doesn't work here is the image shack one.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 
DormDrax

Looks like a type of Java... Strange you asked this because I just researched Java's last night for awhile! haha

Now where is that site that had a similar looking Java Fern...

AHA!

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%2...Fern%20III.htm

*EDIT*
I can see all of the pictures just fine hahaha I think the problem is on your side Alex! haha
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

It looks like some very nice java fern hitchhikers to me, but I don't know. I have seen this growth pattern in java ferns. Very nice plants whatever they are.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
It looks like some very nice java fern hitchhikers to me, but I don't know. I have seen this growth pattern in java ferns. Very nice plants whatever they are.
Yeah if you look a the link in my previous post they say the same thing haha that it's like a new sorta strange type they found.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #9 
Malvolti

Once the roots get longer I intend to anchor them and see how they grow.

I've seen those Javas but as far as I know nobody around here carries them. I mean they barely carry Anubias or Anacharis, two aquarium staples IMO. I can't see them having an uncommon variety of Java. If that is it I'll be happy and maybe start a breeding program to send to everyone here

I'll be heading to the store at some point in the next couple weeks. If I remember I'll ask them and report back. Until then keep the guesses coming.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #10 
Alex09

Looks like lace java fern. Do they have rhizomes? (a little vine which the leaf stem is attached to). Or maybe wisteria? or watersprite?