Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #11 
Fawnleaf

Thats a better idea. My sorority has 4 females (one died yesterday. her gills were inflamed, and I never knew why. ) in 14 gallons. At the moment, one of my girls is getting picked on. Unfortunately, my Dad HATES my fishies, so I will have to wait until Thursday to go to Petco. (My baby sitter comes on Thursdays). How many girls are reccomended for a 14 gallon? I was going to have 7, is that a good number, do you think?
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #12 
metalbetta

7 would be a pretty good number. A good rule of thumb is usually 1 gallon per inch of fish. usually bettas are about 2 inches so that'd be about perfect. If you want to overstock by one or two that should be okay. the more fish the less aggression there will be (in most cases)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #13 
Fawnleaf

Thanks!! It's a real struggle with my Dad to let me get fish. He hates my tanks. I can understand the tank part, but females cost all of $2.00 and I don't need to get a new tank or anything. He always freaks out. Today I tried to get him to let me go to petco, but we went yesterday to get some sand, so that is out of the question. . I guess I might have to separate Guinevere from the rest of the sorority until Thursday. Huh... the life of fish keeping.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #14 
metalbetta

Yeah, you're going to want at the very least 4 in your sorority at any time, otherwise you'll have the stronger ones picking on the weaker ones.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #15 
toledoll

She's adorable and apparently very outgoing.
You've got yourself a pretty little fish there. :P
Do the girls get along for the most part?
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #16 
Martinismommy

Can you please send me that green minty marble girl hiding in the background? She is LOVELY!
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #17 
metalbetta

@Toledoll - Thanks! Yes, they're a pretty closely knit bunch of fish. They get along very well. But "fighting fish" being what they are, aggression is unavoidable at times. They don't get into bouts often, but maybe once or twice a month I'll find some scales missing on a couple, or a nip in someone's fins. I haven't had any serious injuries since day 1 thankfully.

@Martinismommy - That's Mew! ...and she's MINE. Mine, I tell you! :) ...She's a pretty little girl, and in fact she's marbled a lot more since those pictures were taken... in fact I think an update is in order soon... Her minty green...ness is actually irridescent and her fins are more of a blue color in natural light. Oddly enough I recently dropped by the petco I bought her at, and I'm just about positive that I brought home her close relative... same minty green, and she's a combtail BF... so she carries the marble gene too. weird stuff.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #18 
fleetfish

What a cutiepie <3
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #19 
ChicagoPete

AWWW idi bidi tinni betta woves her picture takin. ^.^
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote