Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Getting a little peeved

This isn't a rant I'm just getting annoyed. It seems that in my absence in the hobby a lot of new "rules" to fish keeping that just suprise me. Some of these rules are contradictory to what other sources say. Personally I have had more luck with with the basic info at www.bettatalk.com. To be honest I do things much differently than what's reccomended.....It's just been annoying me.

*I'm not saying that the stuff you guys reccomen is bad but it just contradicts what I learned and follow. I think it's great that you guys want what's best for the fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is no "one way" to do things. And like I've said before, what works for you may not work for someone else. I think it depends on a person's experience, too. There may be things that OldFishLady or Martinsmommy does that someone with little or no experience shouldn't do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #3 
Creat

^+1
Its like any animal hobby for example there is no right way to train a dog just as there is no right way to care for a fish.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #4 
baylee767

Both above are right.

There is no "rule book" on fish keeping. For ex. some people say the minimum is 2.5 gallons. That's just reccomended for beginners who don't have the time and/or expirience to do the constant water change. I've even seen some people say that Bettas need at least 10 gallons... lol.

And some people say that if you even do a 100% water change with a Betta it's cruel... Now many, but I've seen it.

It doesn't matter what other people say is best (sometimes!) because that doesn't work for everybody. Sure, a person with one or two Bettas can get nice large tanks, but a breeder has limited space so 1 gallon works just fine. It all depends on how much the fish owner is willing to work and just what works out for them.

Sorry for the long post, but it annoys me when their's comments like "1 gallon is too small". IMO a betta is happiest in 2.5 or 5 gallons. But their also perfectly happy so long as they have enough room to swim, places to hide, food, and clean water. IMO 1 gallon is big enough for one Betta.

I know I mainly targeted tank size, but that is the main problem. Most people are set at a certain tank size and don't care about what another persons situation is, they still say no matter what a Betta can't have less than "2.5 or 5 or 10 gallons".

Sorry for sounding wierd I was reading a thread that turned into a huge arguement about this a few minutes ago lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #5 
kaythenewbie

I know what you mean. We have a few "extremists" on here. If you can give 5 or 10 gallons to every single fish, more power to you. But bettas will do well in smaller. (Then again, we have extremists on the opposite end of the spectrum too...)

I was shocked to see my betta's tank on the "betta bowl rant thread". ha ha ha. It's advertised as a 1.5 gallon. Actually, if you measure it and calculate the volume, it's closer to 2 gallons. And I think my fish is doing great in there.

I would never support those less than a gallon torture chambers for a full grown fish though.

From what I've seen, Mr. V, you are an excellent breeder and fish keeper. Don't get discouraged or let anyone tell you different.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #6 
tsoto80

I agree with the others. What works for some wont work for all. As far as I see it as long as you are not abusing your pet and provide proper housing, food, and care/love then your doing ok. I have a family member that started off with 6 goldfish and a few tropical fish in a 20 gallon tank. never did water changes, never cleaned the gravel, or buy new filters and they were overfed. Currently 1 goldfish is left in brown murkey water. now clearly that is abuse. but that is the difference. Some care and some dont. Personnaly, I spoil anything I own but that is just me. Mr. Vamp you seem to care about your fish and I doubt you would ever treat them the way my family member did hers.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

I think it confuses people when our "extremists" shove info and rules and stuff like that down peoples throats...kind of a turn off to the hobby...and what's worse is when they give info which contradicts the info of well known breeders and fish keepers......that's where I was going with this thread.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was told, on another forum, that I was abusing my fish because I kept them in 1 gallon containers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Yeah, there are some things that I personally wouldn`t do, but I can realize that they work for some people...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #10 
CodeRed

Agreed. Sometimes I admit I can come off pushy, but really I'm just trying to help the animal, and I definitely try not to be too pushy. If things are getting ugly, I back up and try to make amends. No one knows everyone elses set ups, or how they do things, how healthy their fish are, ect. ect. The circumstances are different for everyone, yet some people seem to think there's only one way, and everything else is evil and wrong. For these reasons I stick more to the Lounge these days. After you've been here for a year, you see the same things again and again. But I love this place, and am in no hurry to leave.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote