Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 
Creat

Deep wound not healing right

First off let me say that this isnt my fish. Lol i dont know why I always end up with sick fish. You guys have never actually seen my personal guys. Lol oh well I need advice. Ok now let me get onto this guy. So he has been with me a couple days. The story was he was in a tropical community tank. He was bitten by one of those red tailed black sharks or something and he got a large open wound it started to heal and closed but its not completely healing anymore. So after about 3 weeks I got him. He is one of those large plakat "king betta." He is lethargic and acts like he doesnt want to bend it so he normally just sits there. It looks swollen and the scales around it are sticking out. I am treating him with aquarium salt and an anti-fungal. The wound also has white stringy fungus looking stuff around it. So what is it that I should do the would looked very deep like it went into the tissue under the scales far.
Name:  IMG_0665.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0668.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  86.7 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Ouch, poor boy! D: That looks really painful...

Not sure if Betta Revive would help... I'd just keep going with the aquarium salt and keep his temp constant... And lower the water for him too.

I'm not the best at betta illnesses though... someone else'll give you more info.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 12-29-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #3 
Creat

Ok thank you I will :)
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

No problem... hope it helps! Good on you for rescuing him.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Oohph! Ow!! That must hurt :'c I hope he gets better very soon.
Id stick with what youre doing for now, make sure that water gets changed like crazy! And that he stays warm :3 My fish got hurt (not *that bad though D,:) and I was advised to keep him in a warm, rather dark tank to ease his stress.
I agree with lowering the water, too.
I hope he gets better, keep us posted? :,c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #6 
Creat

Sure thing I will keep you guys posted :) His name apparently is Jeckle
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Sure thing I will keep you guys posted :) His name apparently is Jeckle
Get better Jeckle!! :3 <3 I know he'll pull through and heal, even if it takes a bit. Youre a good caretaker :3!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella....I understand....the locals bring me a sick fish on a weekly basis....

I would get the aquarium salt increased to 3tsp/gal over 30min-1hr with some 10-20% water changes and then keep up with the 100% daily water changes with the 3tsp/gal aquarium salt, I would keep the water temp low in the 76F range and keep him in something large enough for an airstone....what this does is create an environment that bacteria don't like and that area/wound reminds me a lot of a gram neg bacteria called Flexibacter columnaris....

When they get open wound from an injury, stress, poor water quality with high levels of bacteria that is always in our tanks that cause: columnaris, aeromonas, pseudomonas, mycobacterium can invade/infect the fish as the secondary infection

If you have some tannins to add to the treatment water it may or may not help-dark, quite low stress location...sometimes once these bacteria invade/infect..recovery is not good....they can recover- so don't give up....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 AM   #9 
Creat

I will move him tomorrow when I find my old 2 gallon. It would be perfect for this cause he is a bag boy, (around 5 inches) thanks OFL for the advice :) I will update if his condition changes hopefully for the better.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 
Creat

Today he is a lot more lethargic and doesnt want to come to the surface I lowered the water level. I also darkened the sides to the tank. I wish I could have gotten him sooner. Why must people wait till the last minute to give me fish why?