Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #1 
doodlebox

My betta fish is not rising for oxygen.

Yesterday I found him lodged underneath a decorative cave I had for him in his five gallon tank. I have not seen him for about a week but I thought he was hiding from the new sponge filter I got him. When I got tired of not seeing him I used a flashlight to look inside the cave and I couldn't find him so I lifted it up and he swam frantically from underneath one of the sides. I assumed he didn't get any air so I raised him up with my fish net and he took one or two breathes of hair. I let him go and all he did was sink to the bottom. I figured he would need an easier way to get to air so I put him in a small container with about four inches of water and put some melafix just in case. Later I read that melafix could harm betta's so I did a 50% water change this morning. He's still breathing and moving one of his little fins awkwardly but he hasn't gotten up for any air at all. Right now I'm looking at him and his gill's aren't moving but his fin still is. Please help me, I reallly don't want him to die. And please don't lecture me about not looking for him sooner, I realized this already.

Other info:
He's currently in a quarter gallon container with no filter and no heater.
He usually stays in a 5 gallon with both a heater and filter with an ottocinclus and guppies. I usually feed flakes 2-3 times a week, pellets 2-3 times a week and freeze dried worms once a week. I also do a 50% water change once a month.
The quarter tank has the following readings: nitrate 0, nitrite 0, hardness soft 75, alkalinity 120-180 (ideal), ph 7.8
The 5 gallon reads nitrate 20, nitrite 0, hardness 150, alkalinity 180, ph alkaline 7.8
I used a quick dip strip for these results.

I don't want to put him in the tank with other fish because I'm afraid they might start trying to pick at him and he really doesn't seem to care about his life right now. He's not eating or trying to get air. He barely moves.
doodlebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #2 
doodlebox

Please disregard this post, I think he died as I typed this out.
doodlebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

I'm so sorry. I just want you to know, that 50% water change once a MONTH is not enough. The 5 gallons is great, but it doesn't do any good if he died from ammonia poisoning, and freezing to death. I don't know if that is the reason why, (even if he didn't die from it, it sure did play a large role) but if it is, and you get another fishy, just be sure to change the water more often. Once a week, if he's the only one in there. I'm sorry for your loss.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #4 
bloo97

Very sorry about your fish. I think your tank was quite a bit overstocked because a 5 gallon is way to small for a community tank. (Trust me, I've been barking up that tree for quite some time.)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

(oh.. woops! it's a community? lol Yeah, I agree with bloo) .
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote