Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #1 
HarleyRigid

Is 4ft tank too big?

I have the opportunity to pick up a good 4ft tank and timber stand for a ridiculously cheap price... Is this tank too big for 1 fish? I dont intend to keep more than one fish and dont want to divide my tank but the tank is as I said before... ridiculously cheap. Eating at McDonalds would cost me more than this tank and stand.
Dont want to buy a big tank and make more work for myself or do anything to upset my fish either...

Your input would be appreciated
Attached Images

HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #2 
Patrick Verner

If you put some live plants in with the Betta it would be the happiest Betta in the world. You could even add a canister filter rated for that size to keep the water clean. The Betta will avoid the end where the current comes in though. You could always use sponge filters too.

This a link to my Half Moon kept in a 75G community tank with plants. It's in the main display at my Wife's Betta shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vq5zEqONH4
Patrick Verner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

For just one Betta....IMO... it would look empty if you didn't do more with it....some Bettas will be fine in all that space and some will get stressed and hide in the corner all the time...each one is different....now if you mass planted that tank.....your Betta may or may not feel safe, however, you may never see him either or he will take over happy as ever...and again...lot of work in the beginning...I would snag it in a second personally....lol.....especially if its cheap...laffs....I like the look of it and the stand design......however, one fish in 75g......water changes may not be needed very often and then you (I) would be tempted to add other fish...I would...lol......a mass school of Neon tetra 30-40 with some plants and the Betta would look awesome......50% weekly water change with a python...15-20 min job at best....

Does it come with filters and lights.....if not...that is where the cost will come in...or not......I could do for less than 40 bucks....but that is me...lol.....

I would do a 24h leak test outside with it...even when people tell you it hold water....one wrong move in moving it and you can crack a seal or if it has been sitting for a long time empty-the seals can dry and crack.....75g of water on the floor is not fun....I know....laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #4 
willow

oh my gosh,what i would give for a tank like that.
i think that idea that oldfishlady gave you would look totally spetacular.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #5 
Patrick Verner

Oldfishlady's idea to add tetras would be cool. I like the Rummy Nose ones the best. They school better than any other small fish.
Patrick Verner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #6 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRigid View Post
Is this tank too big for 1 fish?
Not if the fish is an Oscar lol! I would go with a betta with some tetra (not too many). The tetra shouldn't be too nippy in a 55g, but that depends on what you get.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #7 
bloo97

If I got a tank like that It would become a saltwater tank in a heartbeat!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #8 
Alex09

I would turn that into a high tech/NPT heavily planted tank with an aquabid quality plakat, a school of tetras, and cories. *starts drooling*
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #9 
small fry

I have 2 tanks like that, lucky me!

I am setting up 1 as a low-tech amazon tank, and the other might be a fake-planted Asian tank (I haven't decided on the second, yet).
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #10 
Cravenne

IMO...a beautiful tank like that is a huge waste of space for one Betta. You may never see him. I would think you'd have to have a lot of decor or plants to make him feel safe. True a cycle wouldn't be necessary as he would never produce enough waste to foul the water, but....he'll be so tiny and the tank is so big!
Once you have the general idea of how to take care of a large cycled tank like that..and the right equipment, it's really not that difficult. A Python makes easy work of once a week water changes once the tank is cycled. it's really not as hard as you might think. Actually, it's a lot easier to keep the water stable in a large tank once the inital cycle is over. My fish never get sick. I change the water and enjoy them. The only problem I have is resiting the urge to buy more tanks...and more fish..and more fish stuff!
You have a ton of options with a large tank like that...with some research and purchasing of the right equipment, it'd be great!

I'll tell you what...I'll trade you my extra 5G for your Betta and you can give me that one!!

Just my 2 cents...if the price is that great, buy it..find the rest of the stuff you need at good prices and research the type of tank you might like.....enjoy setting it up!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote