Betta Fish Forum banner

Is 4ft tank too big?

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Drift 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up a good 4ft tank and timber stand for a ridiculously cheap price... Is this tank too big for 1 fish? I dont intend to keep more than one fish and dont want to divide my tank but the tank is as I said before... ridiculously cheap. Eating at McDonalds would cost me more than this tank and stand.
Dont want to buy a big tank and make more work for myself or do anything to upset my fish either...

Your input would be appreciated :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you put some live plants in with the Betta it would be the happiest Betta in the world. You could even add a canister filter rated for that size to keep the water clean. The Betta will avoid the end where the current comes in though. You could always use sponge filters too.

This a link to my Half Moon kept in a 75G community tank with plants. It's in the main display at my Wife's Betta shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vq5zEqONH4

#3 ·
For just one Betta....IMO... it would look empty if you didn't do more with it....some Bettas will be fine in all that space and some will get stressed and hide in the corner all the time...each one is different....now if you mass planted that tank.....your Betta may or may not feel safe, however, you may never see him either or he will take over happy as ever...and again...lot of work in the beginning...I would snag it in a second personally....lol.....especially if its cheap...laffs....I like the look of it and the stand design......however, one fish in 75g......water changes may not be needed very often and then you (I) would be tempted to add other fish...I would...lol......a mass school of Neon tetra 30-40 with some plants and the Betta would look awesome......50% weekly water change with a python...15-20 min job at best....

Does it come with filters and lights.....if not...that is where the cost will come in...or not......I could do for less than 40 bucks....but that is me...lol.....

I would do a 24h leak test outside with it...even when people tell you it hold water....one wrong move in moving it and you can crack a seal or if it has been sitting for a long time empty-the seals can dry and crack.....75g of water on the floor is not fun....I know....laffs....

#4 ·
oh my gosh,what i would give for a tank like that.
i think that idea that oldfishlady gave you would look totally spetacular.

#6 ·
Is this tank too big for 1 fish? :)
Not if the fish is an Oscar lol! I would go with a betta with some tetra (not too many). The tetra shouldn't be too nippy in a 55g, but that depends on what you get.

#9 ·
I have 2 tanks like that, lucky me!:-D

I am setting up 1 as a low-tech amazon tank, and the other might be a fake-planted Asian tank (I haven't decided on the second, yet).

#10 ·
IMO...a beautiful tank like that is a huge waste of space for one Betta. You may never see him. I would think you'd have to have a lot of decor or plants to make him feel safe. True a cycle wouldn't be necessary as he would never produce enough waste to foul the water, but....he'll be so tiny and the tank is so big!
Once you have the general idea of how to take care of a large cycled tank like that..and the right equipment, it's really not that difficult. A Python makes easy work of once a week water changes once the tank is cycled. it's really not as hard as you might think. Actually, it's a lot easier to keep the water stable in a large tank once the inital cycle is over. My fish never get sick. I change the water and enjoy them. The only problem I have is resiting the urge to buy more tanks...and more fish..and more fish stuff!
You have a ton of options with a large tank like that...with some research and purchasing of the right equipment, it'd be great!

I'll tell you what...I'll trade you my extra 5G for your Betta and you can give me that one!!

Just my 2 cents...if the price is that great, buy it..find the rest of the stuff you need at good prices and research the type of tank you might like.....enjoy setting it up!

#11 ·
Just getting excited, tank is going for $10 Australian. Its a few hours drive for me to pick it up but for $10... I am an interstate trucker, driving sooo doesnt bother me. Lol.

#12 ·
Have decided to let the big tank slide... the exact thing that is drawing me to it is what makes it prohibitive in the end. Price... $10 is great for such a good tank and stand but being a noob I have no filters ,pumps, substrates, decorations etc. The price to get this tank up and running properly is out of my reach at the moment. I am sure I will kick myself in future but there are plenty of other fish in the sea

#14 ·
Big tank went for $51... still 50/50 on whether I should have bid on it. Oh well, its gone now lol

#16 ·
Heaps of them on Ebay Cravenne, at least there is here in Australia. I really had my pick of tanks and all at good prices. I was limited a bit by price and also room but if they were not so much of a concern I could have gone way over the top really easy lol

#17 ·
Tank looks great and the stand is amazing. For the price it's definitely not a deal you would want to pass on.

While intially you say you want it for just one fish, don't be surprised months or years down the road when you get the urge to add another .....

EDIT: I see you passed on the deal, hope I find a deal like this....

#18 ·
Ohhh man. I would have bought that in a heartbeat, if I had the space anyways!
It was probably a good idea to pass it up for now. Maybe later on down the road when you have the money you will stumble across another good deal. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.