Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Pink Area? Scales falling off? DRAX WHATS WRONG!

Ok not going to panic... *also heavily on wine right now*

NOT going to panic...

*Ahems*

Maybe some of his scales had been damaged long ago (Since he must have been jarred for several months of his life) and they are just falling off now... but I'm noticing a small patch on the top of his head... ratio wise would be just below your hairline. The patch is vivid pink but... alas the camera just can't capture it well. I thought it was just pink scales yet... I don't see scale lines or... stuff when I got him he had a small area like that but the area has grown (As if maybe 4 scales had fallen off)

Why?

I believe it's all that exploration he does... he finds that smallest possible areas... under those shells and just RAMS himself under them and wriggles himself through the space to the other side. He does it on purpose... I watch him do it... One shell in particular he loves to SHIMMY under so maybe his head gets scrapped abit...

OTHERWISE?

Oh I might cry... his personality is just BOOMING, he JUMPS for food now... I wet the tweezers lightly so the pellet just dangles percarsiously from the tip of one of the sides and he bites it off. As I said before he loves to shimmy into tight spaces on purpose and wriggle around in them. I bet if that vine were to be moved out he'd die... He swims through the loops that vine is creating in the water. Also... the cutest thing has to be where he sleeps now... IN THE JAVA FERN!

Oh... right... um... here are some facts... *Coughs*

Tank: 10Gal
Filter: MarineLand Penguin 100
Cycled: ... probably 70% finished cycling by now
Water Quality: I'd say it's good... I do 20% water changes every few days.
Dechlorinator: Yes
Temp: I keep it at around 78F (That heater is awesome!) it fluxs though from 76F to 80F... but through out the day. So the morning it will be 76F but by around 4PM it will be around 80F.
Current: Slight, I sponged the filter and sorta have the water currenting down and around the tank gently.
Food: He's a pig, He eats 4 (Trying to ween him down to 3) Aquaeon Betta Pellets twice a day. So getting it down to 6, from 8.
Plants: That Vine, Several 'A' named plants and a Java fern.
Salting?: Every few days after a small water change I put a few TSP's of AQ salt in with some TSP's of Epsom salt.

Acting: Very curious, loves to be watched (I think). Doesn't just hover around the top... hovers all over the place, I rigged the filter so the tank has several spots where the water sorta loops down then loops back up so if he needs air in a hurry he can just catch the up-current and get gently helped to the surface (I think It was ingenius haha on my part).
Activity: HIGH, though he does take breaks now and then just gently flutter around the vine or the Java fern (Probably in Trance/Sleep mode).

Changes is acting?: None... it just bothers me that pink area... ALSO his fins are getting these white new areas that are growing... like a transparent HEM around his fins I'm guessing this is new fin growth?

I'll TRY to get pics tomorrow in good light just... he's SO active it's impossible to get him to pause! Not like... HYPER active but like... Bumble bee active... Hovers over to one area... looks around... Hovers over to new area... and etc etc.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #2 
Malvolti

Step 1: DEEP BREATHS!

Step 2: More Wine!

Step 3: Relax.

Ok, are the scales on his head actually missing or just turning pink? You mentioned the pink spot has been growing since you got Drax, is it possible he's not injured and just a marble?

I would start by taking out the things that MIGHT be injuring him, just for now. Give it a week or two and see if the spot grows more or shrinks or if his behavior changes for the worse.

If the spot grows even though theres nothing to injure him and his peronality stays the same then it is very possible that he's a marble. If he grows lethargic as the spot spreads it could be a disease (though I don't know of one that looks pink). If it starts to change back then you know he was injured on the shells etc. and know not to add those back in.

You may also want to slow down on the salts, if you aren't treating something and don't know IF there is a problem you shouldn't use it. Salt will eventually cause a Betta's organs to shut down and we don't want that. Salt can help but only in occasional uses, let's first decide if this is one of those cases.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-25-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #3 
LucyLoofa

Are you dangling the food on the tip of the tweezers? The sharp edge used to grab hold of hair?
If so, as a possibility, he might have hurt himself on that.
Also, if you're not done cycling your tank yet it'll be bad for him to stay in there with an injury.
If you have anything close to or higher than a gallon or so I'd put him in it and make sure the heater doesn't fluctuate as much. (don't know if it has controls on it or not) Also I would make sure to feed him way less.
From the sound of it you feed him 4 pellets twice a day: "Food: He's a pig, He eats 4 (Trying to ween him down to 3) Aquaeon Betta Pellets twice a day. So getting it down to 6, from 8."
This is way too much on a normal basis, and if you get him into a gallon hospital tank you'll need to make it way less.
The reason for this is: because the tank size has been reduced toxins build up in the water quicker than they would normally. Excessive feeding does not help.
Also most people on here will also tell you to make sure he gets one teaspoon of salt per gallon in his water while he is sick(which helps fin and scale regrowth and promotes general well being of the fish) and aquarium salt is known to make fish constipated.
Feeding him so much plus constipation runs the risk of destroying his stomach.
I also agree with Malvolti when they say "
You may also want to slow down on the salts, if you aren't treating something and don't know IF there is a problem you shouldn't use it. Salt will eventually cause a Betta's organs to shut down and we don't want that. Salt can help but only in occasional uses, let's first decide if this is one of those cases. "
That is all the advice I can give you.
Make sure to keep a good eye on that spot/wound.
If it starts to bleed (especially if he's in a tank that's in the process of cycling) it could mean bad news and potential sickness. So be sure to get him out of there as quickly as you can.
If you need to use a jar or something clean it out with vinegar and then pour boiling water through it and wait for the glass to cool off.
I'm sure other users will post soon with more help.

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 12-25-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: didn't see malvolti's post. lol (embarassing)
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #4 
DormDrax

Yeah tell the feeding thing to my mother... she's the one that always pushes me to feed him till he's done... *Shrugs* He eats it all in that 1-2 minute rule, and he's never looked bloated (Yet). But yes I am going to cut it down... it was just 2 pellets tonight and I'll try to cut it down to just 2 pellets a feeding.

Cycling... you guys said... or some of you said he should be fine as long as I keep the water clean. he's not sick his eye looks better. *Shrugs again* As always I'll just get pics tomorrow ... 5 bucks tells me I'm just being paranoid and every one of you is going to facepalm going. "Dude... thats normal." He's always had that spot and the Tank lights probably are HIGHLIGHTING it when he's angled certain ways... .................

Ugh enough talk I'll just TRY to get good pics tomorrow.

As for the tweezers... I doubt it, he doesn't smack into them he goes vertical in the water and just snatches the food, I don't even hear him hit the thing, I just suddenly see him chewing away happily then begging again. *Sighs* He's so cute with his little BullDog like jowls XD
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #5 
DormDrax

*Didn't even notice that other post*

... I've been seeing that word thrown around... The devil is a 'MARBLE'. Could be... if... I'm at all right with my Assumptions (Probably wrong though). Most of you guys say his color's have been changing (Slightly) since I got him...

As for the tank... I don't want too move everything he enjoys everything in their too much XD be like taking that vine away he gets all crushed when I start fiddling with it (He's got a small bubble nest next to it... so anytime I touch it... it ruins his nest and he URKS.)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #6 
Malvolti

Well, that's where as the fish's parent you need to put your foot down and do what is best for him regardless of his feelings. He may get sad but he'll get over it and you'll know whether they are the problem or not. I also didn't say EVERYTHING, just the stuff that might be causing the problem. ;)

Marble is an uncommon genetic trait in Bettas, basically their colors shift gradually over time. Sometimes quickly and sometimes very slowly. One day he's a pretty, purple veil tail then you start noticing weird color spots that seem to be growing, a few months later you have a bright green veil tail, or pink as the case may be.

The best way to find out is to take a picture every day or once a week, then after a month or 2 go back over them and watch the progression.

However, just because it MIGHT be marble doesn't mean you shouldn't consider other things like a scrape or missing scales. You need to look into other things to be sure.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #7 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
Well, that's where as the fish's parent you need to put your foot down and do what is best for him regardless of his feelings. He may get sad but he'll get over it and you'll know whether they are the problem or not. I also didn't say EVERYTHING, just the stuff that might be causing the problem. ;)

Marble is an uncommon genetic trait in Bettas, basically their colors shift gradually over time. Sometimes quickly and sometimes very slowly. One day he's a pretty, purple veil tail then you start noticing weird color spots that seem to be growing, a few months later you have a bright green veil tail, or pink as the case may be.

The best way to find out is to take a picture every day or once a week, then after a month or 2 go back over them and watch the progression.

However, just because it MIGHT be marble doesn't mean you shouldn't consider other things like a scrape or missing scales. You need to look into other things to be sure.
... he better not become pink it's the ONE color I just can't stand...

Eh... if I'm going to take pics I might as well do it now while he's sleeping.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #8 
DormDrax

DONT MENTION HIS EYE! *Growls* It doesn't seem to be bothering him, and it has been getting better slowly. It probably happened to him long ago and is permanent...

Also only now do I notice he's bloated... I plan to fast him for a few days and tell mom not to treat him anymore... with food.

Whats wrong with this plant!

Him sleeping...

The Tank in general

This is just to observe the patch above his head.

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-26-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #9 
baylee767

He's a marble! See the faint patterning on his side? The head might be marble too... probably just marble!

You can see the marble in pic. 2.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #10 
Malvolti

What baylee said, Sure looks like Marble to me. It could be the light but comparing your Avatar to those pics the colors look slightly different.

As for the plant it looks like Anacharis? If it is it may not be getting enough light in the corner. You may need to move it somewhere it can get more light. They can sometimes also need fertalizer if the water isn't giving them enough nutrients.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-26-2010 at 10:52 AM.