Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 
Melbell

50% Water Changes

Okay... So I know this is a very beginner question, but how might one go about doing a 50% water change? I've been doing a lot of 100% water changes, and it is getting kind of time consuming. Thanks for your help! (And sorry for the newbie-like question haha.)
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 
Malvolti

I generally use a siphon to drain the water, then you just pull it out when you've drained enough.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the tank size......in the smaller tanks (less than 5gal) I like to do the stir and dip method for my 50% with substrate cleaning

Unplug the heater and filter
I leave the Betta in the tank
I use a chopstick but anything will work-give the substrate/gravel a little stir to get the waste up in the water column and use a plastic cup and dip half the water out....you won't get all the waste out and that is okay
Refill with like temp dechlorinated water
Plug the filter and heater back in-the water should clear in about an hour or so
With a filter-the media needs to be rinsed/swish a couple of times a month in old tank water with a water change and when the water flow slow to maintain water flow
Live plants-be careful and not disturb root

Larger tanks (5gal and larger)
I like to use a siphon and vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots
In unplanted 5 and 10gal tanks- I like to re-arrange and deep vacuum under the large hard scape items every 3-4 months
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50%, water change