Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 
ashleyy

Film on surface and fin rot??

Backgroud Info:
-- 3 gallon tank
-- 1 betta and 1 mystery snail (mystery snail has been removed for 3 days)
-- heated to 80 degrees
-- 100% water change every 3 days. I rinse all tank contents(heater, decor, gravel, tank walls) with hot tap water before refilling with conditioned and aged water and I also match the water temperature to original temp. before adding the betta back in.
-- water params are always perfectly spot on

Problems:
1. For he past 2 weeks I have noticed a film on the water surface of my betta's tank. On water change day (every 3 days) the film starts to separate into spots. 3 days ago, I removed the snail that has been living with the betta since dec. 9th -- I am still getting the film after removing the snail and thoroughly rinsing all contents of the tank.

2. Over the past 2 weeks as well, the betta's fins have been deteriorating. At first I thought he was tail biting but since he also has pinholes and separation in the fins I'm not sure.

I don't understand how this is happening because I keep my betta's tanks very, very clean. I have another betta in the same conditions with the exceptions of different gravel and never having a snail, and his water is always clear and he is doing fine..

I added aqua culture's natural gravel I got from Wal-Mart the same time I added the snail.

I took a VERY long time for the water to run clear when rinsing the gravel for the first time...

Here is a picture, you can see the film and his fins..

And here is a picture of what he looked like before...

ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 
ashleyy

bump
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #3 
bloo97

How much do you feed him? I would add some aquarium salt to his tank and give him a %100 Waterchange every/every other day. Does he tailbite? Do you have any plastic plants or anything he could tear his fins on?

Last edited by bloo97; 12-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Looks like surface scum-bio-film...organic and usually harmless...just looks ugly.....you can use a paper towel to help get rid of it or add airstone or small filter to help keep it broke up so you can't see it-water changes and your doing that already....some cause of surface scum...it can be oils from the fish food, your hands, in the air, smoke and/or cooking oil if he is close to the kitchen, decaying plant material to name a few.....

His tail-it look like biting to me...I almost see some clear edges that look like regrowth....or it could be damage from snagging on something in the tank or even too rough of gravel can cause this as well...lot of water changes to prevent secondary infection, remove anything he could snag his tail on, its new gravel-right?...make sure its not too rough and if so, you may need to replace it...tail biting that can be a challenge......

I don't think the snail had anything to do with it.....

He is a lovely Betta...too bad about his tail...it can sure be frustrating when these thing happen especially when you provide such great care like you are....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #5 
ChicagoPete

What the Hex is wrong wit that guys tail he looks like he brushed against a fanblade @_@
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #6 
sjones

My Clampy bit his tail all to heck at the same time as that gross film appeared too, I'm wondering if it has to do with the tail bites but have read it's protein scum. I can't get rid of it, it keeps coming back and is spreading to my other tanks. yuck.
Any how that looks like tail biting too me!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote