Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #1 
deekim916

whats up!

Hey all you betta lovers.

I recently bought 4 bettas. 2 girls and 2 boys for myself and my girlfriend. 1 black crowntail male, 1 male im not sure about, 1 veiltail female, and 1 female im not sure about. Will post pics later!

When I was younger I used to get these fish to fight with a few friends. Now im just interested in them as a hobby, NOT TO FIGHT! Ive been VERY interested in breeding these 4 bettas with each other.

I bought 2 at walmart and 2 at petco. I bought 2 small tanks with a divider. Cheap little 5 dollar tanks. Good enough to keep them alive for now. I plan on getting a little bigger one with a built in light, filter, oxygen bubbler thing.

Ive been doing a lot of research and it seems like its HIHGLY recommended to get a heater. Which im thinking about getting when I upgrade the tank. If theres any help and basic info that I dont know already would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you who has successfully breeded, please give me some info that helped you do this. Things you did before and learned from.

I will post pics of the 2 I have at my house later today. And will post the 2 at my girls house later this week.
deekim916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #2 
deekim916

okay, i took some pics. I got a new 1 gallon tank for the 1 male and 1 female. comes with a filter and light, all i need now is a heater, but my house stays pretty warm. I bought some bloodworms and jorgies water conditioner as well. i believe im good to go now.

i looks like the male is ready to breed, he keeps flaring and following her, then she will follow him, and they nibble on each other sometimes. but we havnt even conditioned them for breeding yet.

heres the pics
male crowntail is mine, black / silver
female veiltail? i think, red

thanks for looking
Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 
Nutt007

Are they divided? The pictures don't show a divider. I would separate them IMMEDIATELY as you know nothing of bettas. They will end up KILLING eachother. The male chasing the female isn't breeding activity its him saying. "Get out or I will kill you!" I can't believe your ignorance, diving into something you havent researched. >:(
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #4 
deekim916

actually i did have a divider in a smaller tank, i took it out and they were fine. 1 male and 1 female. they are in a 1 gal tank with no seperator, and they are still doing fine. ive done plenty of research to know what they would do and wouldnt.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-31-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #5 
deekim916

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekim916 View Post
actually i did have a divider in a smaller tank, i took it out and they were fine. 1 male and 1 female. they are in a 1 gal tank with no seperator, and they are still doing fine. ive done plenty of research to know what they would do and wouldnt. so dont try and go off on mek.
i apologize for the rude comment. i dont mean any harm. but dont try and insult me of my knowledge.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-31-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #6 
Tsuhei

Woah. Woah. In that small of a tank, they WILL harm each other. You do not house a male and a female together unless you want them to mate, and you have to condition them first...and their tank has to be at LEAST 10 gallons......

I agree that you CAN house them together..but not in that small of a tank. If you did research, you would know that the tank would need to be a minimum of TWENTY gallons.

http://www.nippyfish.net/male_female_housing.html

BUT in your situation, they will fight...and seeing how your male's fins are damaged, it looks like they probably fought while you were asleep.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...333320993.html

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-31-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #7 
ChicagoPete

Terrable Terrable Care THEY are FIGHTING just look at alll the damage to the males poor fins,,,, they are going to kill one or the other just because you don't see them fight doesn't mean it's not happening. . Obvously you don't have as much information as you think you do or where told by an idiot petstore employee.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-31-2010 at 05:20 PM.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

Definitely a bad idea. Plus, your crowntail's fins are pretty bad off right now. I'd separate them immediately.

No one was insulting your intelligence, but I would question where you did your research, because it wasn't very good advice.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
Jupiter

No need to jump on him...at least he is here looking for proper advice.

Well, first up: welcome to the forum!

1 gallon is fine for a single betta, provided you're willing to so several weekly water changes-though most people recommend at least 2.5 gallons for each betta.

Heaters are definitely needed, since bettas are tropical fish.

So before you try anything, I would focus on getting one more tank for the betta and two heaters. Those two definitely need to be seperated. The tank is far too small and you didn't go through the proper procedures for breedng them. If you leave them together, they will kill each other-the male is already looking pretty beat up. So, I think that the priority should be seperating these two bettas and treating the male.

Secondly, breedng takes A LOT of work-it requires tons of research, space, money, and time. There's a lot of thought and consideration to be put into it. It's not as simple as plucking two bettas in a tank and hoping for the best-so, I would advise you to focus more on fishkeeping for now and breeding later when you're more experienced.

Hope this helped.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #10 
ilovebunnies

Hello Deekim916

Unfortunately, bettas are pretty territorial and won't do well being housed together in 1 gallon even if it's 1 male and 1 female. I've read that they will tear each other up in a 10 gallon while trying to mate. Sometimes I wonder how they ever continue as a species, lol.

My advice to you would be to take care of their individual needs before trying to breed them. That would be at least one gallon for each fish, divided tank or separate tanks, and dechlorinated water that is kept around 78 degrees. If you go to the betta care section there is a sticky on betta fish requirements. It will give you a good idea on the proper requirements for your fishies. If you have specific questions, post them and I'm sure you will find plenty of people willing to help.

Once you get settled with the fish you have now and still want to try breeding, talk to the people in the betta breeding section. Many of them are well experienced and very helpful.

;) Best of luck!
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote