Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #1 
turtle10

Exclamation Betta very very sick PLEASE HELP

I have no idea what to do. I have only had him since about March 2010 but he has seemed pretty healthy up until a month ago. His fins started to rot and recede and now he is a lot paler than he used to be. He used to be a vibrant red and in certain light he would shimmer blue. Now he barely moves and rests up at the surface. He has a small filter and heater for tanks under 10 gallons. The heater keeps it between 75-78 and the outside thermometer always says its between 74-76. I had been giving him Melafix and that seemed to work for a while. I never really see him eat, he will just hover below the surface with the food touching his face. And recently I noticed that it looks like the flesh around his eye and forehead is getting eaten away. I am so worried and I really don't want him to die but it looks like he is suffering a lot.

I have included some photos of Turtle

Please help me I don't know what to do.
Attached Images

turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Move him to a QT tank and treat with aquarium salt. That is the best I can think of. Sorry
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #3 
Creat

He is pine coning and bloating so I assume its dropsy the treatment for dropsy is epsom salt. Raise the temperature in the tank and give him 1tsp/gallon of salt and you can raise it to 3tsp/gallon. Dropsy is a hard issue to combat. I have only had to deal with it once so I hope someone with more experience can help you. Did you feed him frozen food at all that sometimes can be the cause.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 
turtle10

No frozen food. But his main food was blood worms which I just recently learned should only be fed in moderation. Im not sure if I have epsom salt, but I have aquarium salt, can I use that?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #5 
turtle10

Oh oops I didn't see shinybetta's post. I'll use some aquarium salt. Updates later.

Thanks everyone. Turtle and I really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #6 
Creat

Aquarium salt and epsom are different aq salt will work for open wounds and destroying bacteria and epsom will help with bloating and dropsy which i think your fish has. You can get epsom at alot of different stores i got mine in bulk at a grocery store. Its just plain magnesium sulfate. And I would hold off on feeding him he looks bloated. But aq salt wont do what epsom salt does at least not as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #7 
shinybetta

I don't think it is dropsy, he doesn't look bloated, but I'm not sure. But AQ salt should be helpful for the head wound still.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #8 
turtle10

It is just so sad, it looks as if someone took a bite off his face :(. Like something is eating him slowly.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #9 
Creat

If his scales look like this from the top and to me they do its dropsy. Frozen foods are believed to sometimes cause it Name:  DropsyTop.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  29.9 KB
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #10 
turtle10

I think it looks like he is pineconing a bit, his body doesn't look completely smooth.

Tags
dying, sick