Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #21 
sjones

Off to buy some pantyhose for my shrimp!
Sorry, just had to say that!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #22 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Off to buy some pantyhose for my shrimp!
Sorry, just had to say that!
LOL!

Your tanks look great!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #23 
sjones

Tanks!

I have put the shrimp in, the tank is cycling now, the only issue is the water temperature, it is at 60 degrees. I have read it takes longer to cycle at lower temps, anyhow does anyone know if it'll work at this temp? I am using all my heaters in the 5 critter keepers I have, and really don't have the money to buy another heater (especially since it will only be used for a month and i still haven't gotten a test kit) My plan is to just let the tank run and then test it in a few weeks when I get a kit...Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #24 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Tanks!

I have put the shrimp in, the tank is cycling now, the only issue is the water temperature, it is at 60 degrees. I have read it takes longer to cycle at lower temps, anyhow does anyone know if it'll work at this temp? I am using all my heaters in the 5 critter keepers I have, and really don't have the money to buy another heater (especially since it will only be used for a month and i still haven't gotten a test kit) My plan is to just let the tank run and then test it in a few weeks when I get a kit...Thoughts?
I would buy the water testing kit over the heater. Your bettas are warm and your tank will cycle, which is important. I would just worry about the shrimp getting too cold. You should check ebay, they have 100w glass heaters with a temperature control for $7+ which I think is a good deal. Those heaters run way too expensive in the stores.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #25 
sjones

Water Temp is up to 70 now, thanks to the lights that I am going to be switching out with florescents once it's cycled!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #26 
sjones

Water temp has peaked at 74 degrees! Wow those bulbs really cause the water to heat up!!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #27 
sjones

Day 2, the water is super cloudy, temp is at 76. I have two shrimp in, may take one out
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #28 
sjones

Day 4 Water is clear again
Temp is 76
I took one of the shrimp out (there were two) because I got a really high Ammonia reading between 4-8ppm
no nitrite/nitrate
Bought my API kit, where is the expiration date on it?
Also picked up a 20 gallon long at the petstore i hate for 20 bucks
also tried to buy a HM that had it's top fin eaten off (obviously not by himself) and since he was 13.99 asked for a dicsount since I was going to rehab him, the manager refused to give me one, saying they would take him out back and rehab him (right...probably just killed him)
I thought it ridiculous since I was spending $60 there anyways but let her take him, as I couldn't afford it anyway.
This is the same store I took photos of dead finless betta in cup (obviously had been fought or mutilated) same manager
Probably should complain to petco again but they don't really care.
I'm just trying to take the best care of the bettas
I have with my limited financial resources (laid off and just picked up a waitressing job..lol)
anyhow....all my work goes into keeping a roof over our heads and giving our animals the best care possible

Last edited by sjones; 01-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #29 
luvem

I love the ping pong ball idea for a play toy!
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #30 
sjones

Cycling takes FOREVER, I can't believe it's only been 5 days...time is ticking by slowly. I found out I have ammonia in my tapwater at 1 ppm (eek,) and the tank is showing between 4-8 ppm ammonia and no nitrite..yet

ping pong ball is a hit for sure!