Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #1 
Kitdae

Exclamation Helpp

My new guy ate yesterday, but today he will take in the food but spit it back out. Is this because hes still getting used to a new tank? I got him from Petsmart and hes in a 1.5 gal with a silk plant similar to the one I gave Syre. Should I be worried?
Kitdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #2 
LucyLoofa

It may be too hard for him to chew.
Try soaking the next one you give him.
There's also the possibility that he isn't hungry. Some people only feed them every other day.
Depends. How much did he have to eat yesterday?
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #3 
fleetfish

It takes a few days for bettas to get used to their new surroundings, new food, new enviroment. Just be patient and give him the time he needs to adjust. :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

It sounds like hes been overfed the day before and needs to digest still. My guess is wait to try feeding him again till tomarrow and try only 3 pellets a day. Also remember to do constant water changes every other day being in only 1.5 gallons and I hope it has a heater too.. right... ;)

Last edited by ChicagoPete; 12-30-2010 at 05:21 PM.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #5 
Kitdae

I only gave him 2 pellets yesterday cause it was his first day home.
I'm kinda worried cause the others weren't so healthy at the store yesterday...
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 
ChicagoPete

O..man... you might want to try some aquarium salt from the pet store for a few days to see if that helps Ive heard of others treating their fish with it also test your water and find out what the chemicle levels are and did you treat the water first before he was put in it with a water conditioner/ Declorinator.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #7 
Kitdae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
O..man... you might want to try some aquarium salt from the pet store for a few days to see if that helps Ive heard of others treating their fish with it also test your water and find out what the chemicle levels are and did you treat the water first before he was put in it with a water conditioner/ Declorinator.
I use bottled water. I had half a 2 gal bottle left over from Syres water change so I used that.
Could he be in a sort of shock given its clean water and a bigger space than the cup?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #8 
ChicagoPete

Mann bottled water is crazy to use for him they do all sorts of chemicles to that stuff to make it taste better then tap water. Just get some SeaChem Prime in a little red bottle the next time you go to your petstore its like 4 dollers for their smallest bottle of it and add 2 drops of it per gallon of new tap water after you empty his tank every water change. Being in that small of a tank I recomend 100% water changes once a week and 30% change every other day.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #9 
Kitdae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
Mann bottled water is crazy to use for him they do all sorts of chemicles to that stuff to make it taste better then tap water. Just get some SeaChem Prime in a little red bottle the next time you go to your petstore its like 4 dollers for their smallest bottle of it and add 2 drops of it per gallon of new tap water after you empty his tank every water change. Being in that small of a tank I recomend 100% water changes once a week and 30% change every other day.
Syre's been living in bottled water for almost two years now, so...
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #10 
ChicagoPete

If you like using bottled water and have no problems with your other betta I see no problems to continue doing so. Its just one expensive route. I still say though to wait a day an see if he eats tomarrow and keep up with water changes reguardless tap or bottled in that tank. I'm not shure if Im repeating or not but does he have a heater the water needs to be around 78* constanty/

Tags
fish, not eating, petsmart