Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Planted 10 gal questions... LOTS of them...

Okay so by january I'll have my 10 gallon sorority tank. I'll also be getting some plants, too. Here Is what I'm getting:

1 of these: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...aves-jamat.htm

2 of these: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ancharis06.htm

And 1 of these: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...l-dwmarimo.htm

I'm spending $40 on plants, so I really need to make sure I don't kill it all for nothing. So, here are the questions.

1. What special care do the plants require? I think marimo requires some type of special care, does it?

2. What else will I need to keep the plant alive (Like fertilizers...)

3. How will I make the java ferns shorter if they get too tall for 10 gallons? Or do they always stay short enough?

4. How Do I plant Anarchis in Gravel? I have a hard time planting Anarchis but I really want some to improve water quality since I'll have alot of fish and maybe some shrimp/snails...

5. (PLEASE answer this one!!!!!!) What should I do to prepare the plants to go into the tank? Do I run them under tap water or keep them in a container of pre conditioned water for a certain amount of time or do I just put them straight in the tank or something else?

That's all I can think of. Please answer any of these questions, you don't have to answer all of them. Thanks for looking!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #2 
MoePaac

You've picked really easy plants, and they'll be coming from a good source. I've gotten multiple plants from Heather... all in excellent condition.

As for special care, just make sure you use fluorescent lighting. You could use some fertilizers if you like, but I'd see how they do for a while at first. I've used Seachem Flourish with good success.

You can plant the anacharis into the gravel. Just stick the end with the weight into the substrate. I plant all of mine. As for the tall leaves of the Java fern, they grow, but very slowly. If some look like they wont work at all you can trim them from the base near the rhizome. You may know this, but don't plant the Java fern in the substrate. It's rhizomes must be out in the open. You can tie or rubberband it to a rock, driftwood, or decoration. The roots will attach to the object.

Once the anacharis reaches the height of the aquarium, just pinch the stem about half way down and replant the part you trimmed off. The end will grow roots and you'll have twice as many plants after a while!

Some people are more particular about cleaning their plants than others. I tend to just run mine under clean water and get rid of any dying matter. I've yet to have problems, but I may just be lucky.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #3 
MoePaac

And the bulbs should be in the 6500-6700K range.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 
CrankyFish84

All good advice from Moe!

I just wanted to add that, to break the "line of sight" in a sorority (so the more submissive girls
can reach the surface less bullied), taller plants are best...Amazon Swords (which will outgrow
a normal 9-10inch tall 10G eventually) are hardy, tall, and look beautiful. Another tall plant
is Red Flame Sword, but it's usually more expensive for some reason.
I love Anacharis because they grow super fast...BUT....The leaves are fragile & "shed"
so much it gets annoying lol...Anchoring them into the substrate will help, rather than left floating.
Hornwort looks similar but is less fragile...AND...Has tiny white flowers that bloom. :)

Good luck & you'll do great!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #5 
baylee767

To plant Java fern in the gravel I just hook one or two of those thin little roots underneath the gravel, right? I did that with my java fern in my 2.5 gallon tank and so far so good...
Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #6 
baylee767

Okay I might get some swords... here's a sword that grows around 7 inches:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ord-parv01.htm

Should I get some of these? I don't mind not getting them, but they would look nice. I'm wondering whether or not to get them because of the size they get. I want a heavily planted tank, but not too heavy. Enough so that the females can hide and it looks very green and lush, but I don't want it to become too crowded with plants. I want it so that there can be some open spots (roughly 1/3 - 1/4 of the tank at least) and so that the females are easy-ish to spot, so that they're not hiding all day. So more of a medium to high planted tank.

So, that being said, should I get some of those swords? And if so, how many? And do they need anything?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #7 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Okay I might get some swords... here's a sword that grows around 7 inches:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ord-parv01.htm

Should I get some of these? I don't mind not getting them, but they would look nice. I'm wondering whether or not to get them because of the size they get. I want a heavily planted tank, but not too heavy. Enough so that the females can hide and it looks very green and lush, but I don't want it to become too crowded with plants. I want it so that there can be some open spots (roughly 1/3 - 1/4 of the tank at least) and so that the females are easy-ish to spot, so that they're not hiding all day. So more of a medium to high planted tank.

So, that being said, should I get some of those swords? And if so, how many? And do they need anything?
Swords are fairly easy. They do require more light than other plants I've seen discussed above. But they also are root feeders. So, you'll need root tabs to give them the extra nutrients they don't get from the fertilizer you put in. I have found that it is not uncommon to see them look like they are dying for the first couple weeks. This is actually normal though. They are apparently grown partially out of the water until they get to the fish stores... then they are fully submerged. This causes them to look like they are dying while adjusting. Pinching or trimming dead leaves for a little bit of time will help it to adjust though :) I have found that they adjust to the amount of light they get. My sword is in a 5 gallon, and it has long, slender leaves (like it is reaching up to the light). But my boyfriend has it in a 30 gallon... and the leaves are fat because it's getting stronger light daily. Hope this helps your decision some :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #8 
CrankyFish84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Swords are fairly easy. They do require more light than other plants I've seen discussed above. But they also are root feeders. So, you'll need root tabs to give them the extra nutrients they don't get from the fertilizer you put in. I have found that it is not uncommon to see them look like they are dying for the first couple weeks. This is actually normal though. They are apparently grown partially out of the water until they get to the fish stores... then they are fully submerged. This causes them to look like they are dying while adjusting. Pinching or trimming dead leaves for a little bit of time will help it to adjust though :) I have found that they adjust to the amount of light they get. My sword is in a 5 gallon, and it has long, slender leaves (like it is reaching up to the light). But my boyfriend has it in a 30 gallon... and the leaves are fat because it's getting stronger light daily. Hope this helps your decision some :)

Yeah that's what happened to my swords & I'm glad to know it's normal because it's still happening...The roots look healthy though just some yellowing on a few leaves. So the fish poo isn't fertilizer enough for the swords? :/ darn it..back to the plant shop for tabs...
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #9 
Alex09

A good way to anchor down anacharis is to rubberband the bottom of a stem to a small rock. I kept a thin piece of foam paper (?) in between the rubber band and the plant to keep the band from cutting into the stem. Keeps the plant down, and you can easily move it around. I bought a bundle of anacharis a few weeks ago. Most of the original stems melted but out of those stems baby plants branched out and they grow FAST. I guess it was part of the adjusting process. I haven't had a problem with shedding leaves. Maybe my platies eat them?

Unless you have high light and/or co2 you wont be needing any special fertilizers. Maybe just a simple iron supplement Like API's LeafZone, or Kent's. If you have any root feeders such as amazon sword you probably want to get root tabs and stick them under the plant. Replace every few months. Just stick to low light (around 15-20 watts of 6500k florescent lighting) as a 10 gal tank can get overgrown pretty quickly. Especially with Anacharis and sword plants.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-23-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #10 
baylee767

So with the root tabs do I have to place them all over the tank or can I just put them where the swords are? THese plants will most likely thrive because I'm going to get a 40 watt one of those swirly lightbulbs. So that's 4 watts per gallon... I can take low and medium light plants.

If I bunch the swords (I probably will, I like making my plants bunched) Than can I just put one root tab under/right next to the plants and replace the tabs once every month or 2 months?