Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 
Aya

Question Is he sick?

Hello All

New to the forums, and hoping to get some insight on proper Betta care. I think my new Betta might be sick and I'm looking for suggestions/help. Here's the lowdown :D

Name: Ryuk

Purchased: Male Betta @ Petsmart yesterday. Looked to be quite active when I took him home last night.

Tank: 5 Gallons, Fluval Chi setup with filter. (Didn't know I needed a heater, so don't have one of those)

Today when I woke up I noticed white patchy fuzzy looking stuff on him that wasn't there yesterday. He's been pretty lethargic most of the day and is refusing food. I tried taking pictures, but they aren't showing the issues properly : /
Anyone have any ideas on what it is/could be? And how to get him happy again?

Also, is bamboo an okay plant to put in the tank? Or should I stick with grasses etc?

I'll try to post pictures of him as soon as I can, he's a lovely black color with dark red and blue fins.
Aya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum Aya...sorry you are having problems....

First thing you need to get a heater and thermometer-proper water temp is really important for the Betta health...also dechlorinator if you are on city water supply

Right now if you still have the cup he came it-put him back in it and start 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for about 10 days

pre-mix your water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal-use this water for the water changes every day...get the heater and get the water temp up to at least 76-77F and float the QT cup inside the heated tank attached to the side so it doesn't sink....

Make sure the water temp is within a few degrees between new and old water with the water changes so not to cause temp shock problems

If the bamboo is totally under water it will rot and die....if you have the top and leaves out of the water it should be fine.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #3 
Aya

Thanks for the reply..

Unfortunately, help came too late for my little man. I woke up this morning to him dead at the bottom of his tank. The white cottony looking stuff had completely consumed him. Sad after 2 days how he went from active to that bad..but hopefully I can start again with some new knowledge.
Aya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 
BettaCavy

good luck Aya :) Same thing happened to me, no worries. PetSmart Bettas can be a bit of a hit-or-miss, apparently.
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote