Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #11 
KennyBooBear

As tragic as this almost was..... I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh reading your OP. That said, glad he's still got full use of his fins and whatnot. Note to self: When changing water, place fish in a small temporary container.
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #12 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswornxoffxjello View Post
I'm so glad Sam is okay! Poor guy. I always cover the top of WC bowls with a towel.

Side note: NEVER NEVER vacuum substrate in dim light. NEVER NEVER look away for even ONE SECOND. Or you and your fish WILL regret it. (Learned that the hard way. :/)
yea, i'll always use precautions now. oh no! that's terrible! ...and why i have a seperate lamp by my big tank, for exactly that reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i've had my tiny CT female, Freya, decide the cup wasn't the place for her, and she jumped out, onto the floor! i screamed, jumped back, and cupped my hands, trying to get her into them. lucky me, she flopped right into them!

i keep the cups the bettas come in from the pet store, to house them while i clean their tanks. my collection has dwindled down to one cup, though.
at least she cooperated nicely! haha that makes me think, when my father was trying to get him in the net, he tapped sam's nose with a chopstick, and he nicely flipped into the net...amazing how well they will get themselves out of the problems they got themselves in.

i would use a cup, but the store he came from had their bettas in tanks, which is a good thing, but it would of been nice to of had a cup instead of using this mini bowl i found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
As tragic as this almost was..... I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh reading your OP. That said, glad he's still got full use of his fins and whatnot. Note to self: When changing water, place fish in a small temporary container.
forgive me if i fail to see the hilarity, but i'm glad someone learned from this.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #13 
bettafish15

I saw the title and was like OHSHI-

I'm glad it wasnt worse!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #14 
IrishRose2124

I've had the happen! Changing water in the kitchen and while I was transporting my fish from tank to bowl in his net he decided to hop out and try going down the drain. T_T had to scope him up in my hand and get him back in the tank. Needless to say I do not take the fish out with a net anymore, instead I dip the cup in the tank and get them out that way, then put the lid on so they don't jump out. Good to hear your fishy's ok! No one believes you when you say bettas are jumpers. Freaking acrobat fish
IrishRose2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #15 
vaygirl

I'm glad you got him out! I would have totally freaked out. I hope he recovers quickly! :)

I will also caution against just using the hose off the siphon and taking your eyes off of it AT ALL. Kilo lost a good chunk of skin in a c shape from getting his face sucked up into it while I wasn't looking. I imagine he went... What's this........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I don't know how he got out of it. I didn't notice until I'd moved him into his ten gallon that he was injured and then I realized what happened.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #16 
dragonfair

I had to laugh... cuz it happened to me with Maximus! I was freaking out and trying to get him out of the garbage disposal without poking holes in him! My friend was over and she was trying not to laugh as my moans of "OHGOD OHGOD OHGOD!!!" echoed thru the house. He came out of it fine - had some little holes in his fins that healed quickly - and I learned how resilient bettas really are.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #17 
Betta Slave

Ugh, jumpers scare the heck outta me.

Glad he's okay! Must've been scary for the poor guy... I've had a few fish try and jump into the drain, but no one has actually succeeded yet... and I'm hoping they never do.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #18 
celine18

ok, too lazy to quote:

bettafish15: thanks, me too!

irishrose: i'm so glad your betta's ok! that's even scarier, he jumped straight out of your hands!

vaygirl:thanks! wow, you've got a tough boy!

dragonfair: yayy! i'm not alone! i don't feel like such a bad owner now, lol. at least i was lucky enough to have my parents here to take care of it, i couldn't of gotten him out of there myself...did you have to take the whole disposer out, or could you get him through the drain?

betta slave: but he's never jumped ever before!! so i wasn't nearly as careful as i should of been. i hope your bettas never actually succeed in making it into the sink!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #19 
dragonfair

I reached in and gently scooped him up. I had to be super careful because of all the sharp edges - but he pretty much flipped himself into my hand after a few seconds and I got him out strangely easily. I was totally paranoid that the disposer would turn itself on while we were both in there, though! Heh heh...
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #20 
celine18

oh yea, i'm deathly afraid of disposers and their knives. i would of had to go cut all the power for the room off, then unplug the disposer, before i could of put my hand in there, haha. actually, our drain's too small for a hand, the disposer would of had to of been removed from the sink. but still, lol. i'm sure your betta appreciated your bravery! XD