Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Angry Ugh. My family got bettas.

So today me and my bro and his wife are running around town. We pop into this Petco, because I wanna look at the bettas, and pick up some more stuff for the 10 gallon I swear/hope/pray I'll have set up by the 5th or 6th or January.

Anyway, they'd never seen anything but veiltails before, so my sister in law goes over to the bettas, and spots a crowntail. And she calls me over asking what's wrong with it, ect. After explaining the different tail types to her, I went back to looking around, saying hi to people and their dogs, and looking at other things I'll need to buy later on.

Fastforward to checkout-- my sister in law and brother have a male and female crowntail, in a divided half gallon 'tank'. :/ I was talking them into a decent sized one with a heater, but a Petco worker 'corrected' me, and told them that too much space would stress the ONE fish they wanted at a time. And when my sister in law asked if the male crowntail they had picked out would get lonely, the woman at petco suggested the divided tank, and a female 'girlfriend'.

Ugh. This house is freezing and those fish won't last a week. And now my brother and sister in law are convinced I'm going to be wasting my 10 gallon on the one betta I want to get. *siiiigh*
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #2 
shinybetta

I hate petco employees sometimes. Although mine recommend 1/2 gallon tanks, they don't say no when I buy large tanks and heaters for my fish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #3 
elijahfeathers

This person seemed to honestly think it would be cruel to put them in anything bigger. :/ I just... I don't even know man.

The female crowntail is really pretty though. I hope she makes it... maybe once they lose interest in them, I can try to save them. If the cold and shared 1/2 gallon hasn't killed them both. :/
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 
baylee767

Aaaw )= give them a link to this site... 90% of the info. pages on Bettas say that they need plenty of room.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Tell them you know an IBC breeder who says "PetCo employess are idiots" hehe. But seriously tell them that most of use have more than one betta and some of us are breeders and we know a lot more than a PetCo employee.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 
Malvolti

My favourite thing to do when they try to tell me that is to run and grab their betta care sheets which say "Betta need AT LEAST 1 gallon each and will be happy in anything larger."
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

I'm sorry. =( That sucks.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #8 
ChicagoPete

I hate it when these big brand pet stores hire a bunch of shmucks who don't know a thing when it comes to the animals their selling other then memorization from a pamflit they get when they start working there and brain wash many of there customers who don't know the truth about what there really getting and think, '' The petstore man said so '' when you tell them otherwise. -_-
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #9 
AngelicScars

Ugh. :(
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #10 
Nutt007

My response:
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote