Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Albino Corycat questions

Please excuse my laziness... lol I can't look anything up right now....

So I might do a community instead of a sorority with my male Betta and some albino corycats. I'll most likely do 3.

How can you tell the difference between male and female? I really don't want eggs Lol. Oh, and I know that some species of fish change sex. Do Cories?

What do I feed cories? The Betta they'll go in with... Neon, has little apetite. So if I feed him 3 pellets he wont be hungry for awhile so he most likely wont steal the cories food.

My tank temp. Can sometimes reach up to 82 degrees (only for a very short time, it is rare). I read they prefer to be up to 79 degrees, is my tank too warm?

Will gravel be okay for substrate? It's not sharp gravel and it's definatly not heavy enough for a cory to get stuck under.

How exactly should I go about introducing them to the tank (They'll be the first fish I'll add)?

And if anyone has any other advice... please tell me it!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #2 
baylee767

Okay now I've decided to also add 5 Neon tetras.

Or do you think this would stress Neon out too much?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #3 
baylee767

NVM on the tetras. A lot of times they nip fins and they are too sensative for a new and clumsy fish owner like me! =D And the PH sround here is at about 8, and I read that just 7 is a bit high for them... 0.0

Uh, anyone want to answer my questions?.... At all? *voice gets quieter and quieter* Anybody?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #4 
small fry

Well, I am not exactly sure what your question(s) are. I guess the following;
*Sorry, albino cories require a group of at least 5. At 2.5" they aren't suitable for a 10g tank or less (not really sure what size tank you are working on).
*Your right, neon tetras wont work with that water chemistry. IMO neons and bettas don't go together (except for you betta, Neon lol)
*Just a note; it is very diffecult to have a community with a betta in it in a small tank. Especially with nippy-species. The betta might just be happier by itself (like mine was when I took it out of the community tank). They are more likely to build bubblenest.

Is that all you needed answered?
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 
shinybetta

The gender difference doesn't matter much. The cories eat the eggs after they are laid.

In a ten gallon you could do 4-5

Feed them shrimp and algea wafers. Bloodworms too!

Your tank is not to warm

The gravel should be fine, but watch closely for missing barbels

Introduce them like your betta. Float until the get to the proper temperature.

For a fish beside a betta you could do rosy red minnows. I hear they act like cichilids, especially while the male is guarding his eggs.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
Alex09

Do not get rosy reds! they are coldwater and at the temps your tank will reach they will breed and then become very aggressive.

Cories will work. but I suggest you get a smaller variety like Pandas, Julii, or dwarfs.

I feed my cories shrimp pellets. They love em! Make sure not to overfeed. For a group of 3 cories ONE pellet will be enough. For a group of 5-6 then TWO will be ok. Keep in mind that your betta may take a few bites out of these. Mine does even after she's eater her own food. So you may have to adjust your betta's feeding quantities.

During the summer, My tank got as high as 84F. The cories did fine.

Gravel is ok.

Acclimate them into the tank first. The same as you would a betta.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #7 
baylee767

Thanks everyone. Around here albinos are the most common variety, that's why I was considering them. But I have heard pygmy cories make a great Betta tankmate because they're smaller. I think they also have lots of energy like albinos. Is it true they grow only to 2 cm?

I did the aqua calculator thing and it said with 9 pygmy cories and 1 male betta I'm 80% stocked. If I can manage to find any then I'll probably get some... With research first of course.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Rosy reds like temps from 78 to just above freezing. And they won't become extremely vicious while breeding.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 
Alex09

Huh. I thought they were aggressive breeders. Maybe I was thinking of another fish. Oh well, they are quite ugly anyways lol. And they are usually sold as feeders so you have to watch out for disease and possibly quarantine. I think white clouds would be much cooler schooling fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 
shinybetta

Rosy red minnows become semi-aggresive when guarding the nest, but they don't bite. I saw a very pretty red and black rosy red but I couldn't get him