Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 
shinybetta

Shrimp!

What do you think of shrimp? How many Shrimp do you have? What are their personalities? I have 2 ghost shrimp and a bamboo shrimp. The ghost's are funny because they each have a hang out. One prefers hanging on algea on the side of the tank, while the other loves my heater cord. My bamboo shrimp is always on my fake bamboo!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I don't have any shrimp, but I would like some! I don't plan on doing a planted tank, though, so I don't know if they would be very happy.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #3 
kholder

I'm also looking to get some ghost shrimp and would like more info if anyone has it. I know I would be taking a chance as far as long term compatibility, but I think I'll try. I have one betta in a ten gallon and one betta in a five gallon. Both filtered and heated. I don't think either of my fish are board, and not looking for "friends" for them, would just like to see a little more action in the tanks, especially the ten gallon.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #4 
Malvolti

I currently have 2, probably going to be 6 soon. I've kept Ghosties longer than I have kept Bettas. The female I currently have is an eater, that's all she ever does. The day I added her she just sank to the bottom and happily started eating. The other, a male, is a runner. He's climbed my heater to get out of the tank and is always searching the edges for more escapes.

Right now the female is carrying eggs.

Ghosts love planted tanks, lots more food to eat. They'll eat algae, betta pellets, micro-organisms, lots of stuff you can't see.

I've kepy Ghosties with a few Betta and only one ever ate his.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I have been thinking of getting some live plants, and since my tank is next to a window, do you think they'd get enough sunlight? I don't have a hood for my tank at the moment.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #6 
kholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
I currently have 2, probably going to be 6 soon. I've kept Ghosties longer than I have kept Bettas. The female I currently have is an eater, that's all she ever does. The day I added her she just sank to the bottom and happily started eating. The other, a male, is a runner. He's climbed my heater to get out of the tank and is always searching the edges for more escapes.

Right now the female is carrying eggs.

Ghosts love planted tanks, lots more food to eat. They'll eat algae, betta pellets, micro-organisms, lots of stuff you can't see.

I've kepy Ghosties with a few Betta and only one ever ate his.
Ooooh. I didn't think about them escaping! Do they mind being the only one of their kind in a tank or do they prefer some like company? I was thinking about putting 2 in the ten gallon (with a young betta) and 1 in the five gallon (with a 2 year old betta).

I was considering that the older betta, who is a grumpy gus at times, may not be willing to have a tank mate, which, then, would mean the ten gallon would end up with 3 shrimp. Will there be enough room in the ten gallon if all three have to go in it?
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #7 
Malvolti

In a 10 gallon you could easily have 6 with your betta, Ghosties are very low impact when it comes to stocking a tank. You would be smart though to start with one or 2 in each and see how they get along.

With my Divided 10 that I'm setting up I intend to have 2-3 on each side. I would love to do cories but they would need the space of a 10 gallon and I'm determined to divide.

@Sweeda, As long as you go with low care plants like Java Fern or Anubias light really isn't a problem. Mine gets too much light right now being in a windowless room and 16 LEDs running from when I get up to when I go to bed.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Ok. How would Anacharis do in my lighting situation? I've heard it's super easy to keep, and they sell it at my LFS.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #9 
Malvolti

For starters I'm jealous. I've been to about 10 stores and nobody carries Anacharis around me. I've tried asking local hobbyists and they just tell me "Oh I dunno, you see it every so often, not a very common plant".

Anyways, it should be okay. Anacharis tends to like a little more light than say Java Ferns but they still do well in a filtered daylight situation.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Okay, thanks! It's also only $2.99 a bundle or whatever. I feel very lucky now. I think I will invest in real plants instead of getting more plastic ones. Since my tank won't be filtered, it will be great for helping water quality (don't worry, I will still do twice weekly water changes).