Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1 
JKfish

So....

I have to decide what to do with my fish now that things are almost settled down and my siblings, mom and I are in the house... Phoebe is still the the 10 gallon harlequin tank, and she still has velvet. She's acting fine, but I'm not sure if the harlequins now have it too. I don't want to treat them for something that isn't ailing them, but I don't want to risk them possibly suffering from that. What should i do?

Also, after that, I've decided I might take a break from all this, seeing as the next few months are going to rough. There's a good chance I'll be adopting out the harlequins then breaking down their tank, or something along those lines. I know it might be better for the harlequins to be shipped together in the same bag seeing as there are only three of them and they stress when alone. What sized bag and what type do you advise getting them?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

What happened with the sorority?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
JKfish

:( Foxy, Aurora, and Jaffa died. Aurora got sick and even though I took her out and put her in a hospital tank, they all got sick. It started out with just a bit of finrot, then it got bad quickly..
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

:'( I'm so sorry. That is exactly what happened with the rest of the females.. they had been doing fine on their own that I thought they wouldn't get sick again. I wish I knew what was wrong with them.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #5 
JKfish

I'm guessing the stress of shipping lowered their immune system, and whatever was with them ended up getting back to them. Phoebe honestly seems alright, though once I fix that slight bit of velvet and sort everthing out, she'll probably live in the harlequin tank by herself just in case. The sorority tank they were in hasn't had a fish in it for a bit less than a week, so I'm hoping once I recycle it that nothing nasty is still alive in the tank.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Well if its any consolation I've had my guppies and shrimp in the tank they were in for quite a while and no one has gotten sick so I think it's a betta thing or something.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #7 
JKfish

well, that's good to know :) . Does simply removing phoebe to continue treating her for velvet and just keeping a close eye on the harlequins sound like a good idea for now?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I'd just go ahead and treat the whole tank since Velvet is a parasite, chances are they wouldn't get it but I wouldn't risk it and velvet medications are pretty mild so it probably wouldn't affect the rasboras much.

I used "Quick Cure" to treat velvet along with high temps and darkness and it worked quite well.

I hope she makes it, she's always been one of my favorites.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #9 
JKfish

Thanks, I actually had been treating her with Ich guard (malachite green is the active ingredient) by tetra for a bit, but 3 days ago I had to stick her in the harlequin tank because my siblings mom and I had to leave the house, and I didn't know when I'd be back so I figured clean water is more important than keeping her in medicated water.

once I start treating the whole tank, do you think the medications could possibly harm the plants?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure but I don't think it would.