Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #1 
semajieo

help! new to the betta fish world :)

Hey i just adopted a betta and its about 8 months old. It lived in a small bowl its hole life and wasn't well kept, when i first seen the fish it was a pinkish color now more then 80% of it is blueish purple is it sick? It also seems to be missing its top fin :(

Since i'v adopted her i put her in a 10g tank with a heater, filter, tons of hidding places and some friends, 2 buenos aires tetras and they seem to be getting along great no fighting at all They follow each other everywere. The betta seems alot happier then before but is there any tips or pointers i would be greatfull. thanks
semajieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

Welcome to the forum!

Since it was in poor conditions prior to its adoption, because you have it in better conditions now, it probably "colored up", meaning you can see its true colors now.

Make sure you have some hidey-holes for the betta so she can get away from fish if they start acting aggressively toward her...you already have a heater, so I assume you have it set at tropical temperatures (76F-80F)?

She may have fin rot if her top fin is missing...check her for discoloration around the fins that appear to be brown or ragged (even with white fuzz, it could be fungal). If she does have this, remove her from the tank and put her in a quarantine tank. The bacteria / fungus that causes fin rot is contagious and can affect your other fish. If she does have fin rot, please post back here and we'll do our best to help you.

Other than that, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Great job on rescuing her, she's probably a lot happier now.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 
semajieo

I dont see any discoloration in the fins no brown edges or anything its just the top fin looks like it was cut clean off like it was never there before :( but ill just watch her closely.

Right now im keeping it at 74F so ill bump it up a few. thx

I also have about 4 littel cave like holes she can hide in if the other get a bit aggressive but by the looks of it she tells the tetras what to do lol. Shes very active since the change, shes constantly swiming and every time i go up to the tank and she see's me she go's nuts so i think thats a good sign.

Thanks for the info tsuhei!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #4 
semajieo

p.s. any info on maybe getting another female betta or 2??
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by semajieo View Post
p.s. any info on maybe getting another female betta or 2??
If you get more female bettas, it would have to be a minimum of four more bettas (a total of 5). These are called sororities... there is a pecking order in sororities (to determine who is the alpha female). In order to introduce these females properly, you need to take your current female out of the tank and rearrange some of the decor when you buy the other four.

After doing this, float the females in the tank in separate cups to acclimate them...and put them in the tank at the same time. Keep an eye out for aggression...nipping and chasing occasionally is normal.

If you add females into the tank with a pre-existing female, you can stress her out or she'll become over dominant because the tank is "her" space.

If you get less than a 5 betta sorority, it can cause the females to fight more and target the smaller, weaker females of the group.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote