Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #1 
LeroyTheBetta

New plants, REAL ones! :)

I'm very happy to have replaced my plastic plants with real ones. Ok, there are only 4, that's enough, for now at least, but I'm happy to have plants that actually do something for the water and fish. Again, I haven't had fish before a few weeks ago, so having REAL plants is very exciting for me! lol I got 2 dwarf pongol, a purple wattle, and a wisteria.

One question, the purple wattle and wisteria each came as a small bunch, held together at the base of the stems with a bit of wire. Neither really has any roots yet, and I just can't get the wattle to stay in the gravel.... it floats out of it and is suspended about an inch or two above the gravel. Will the wattle grow roots alright, even though it's not anchored? I thought it'd be fine floating, but just wanted to ask. And, should I leave the wire on to hold the bunches together, or would it be best to remove it?
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #2 
baylee767

are they wire or are they plant weights? The weights aren't wire thin (NOTE: AREN'T) and are bendy and most likely wrapped around the bottom of the plant.

Nice tank BTW ;)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
are they wire or are they plant weights? The weights aren't wire thin (NOTE: AREN'T) and are bendy and most likely wrapped around the bottom of the plant.

Nice tank BTW ;)
Thanks! :) It looks like wire to me, although I have not seen plant weights. These things aren't weighting them down, that's for sure.

And, off the subject, see the background...... sort of looks like algae, but it isn't.... that's the background photo which I can't get to "stick" or "seal" itself to the glass..... so it gives it a very splotchy look. Is there a trick to getting the background to get a really good contact with the glass, so that when you look at it, you see just the background and not a reflection? Make sense? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #4 
Cravenne

What did you use to attach the background? My LFS sold me a some special glue that adheres, but can also be removed. It worked alright but it is a PITA to do once you have a big tank already fully set up against a wall.
I believe the product was called Seaview. It was pretty expensive for a tiny bottle...BUT...it does work. You just spread it on the background and use a credit card or something to push the air pockets out.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=18280

The great thing about this is is peels right off..it feels more like an oil than a glue, so..it isn't hard to take off the back of the tank.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Thanks for your advice.

[quote=Cravenne;546958]What did you use to attach the background?

Nothing.

I took this background off to see if I liked another design that I bought. I didn't like it, so put the first one back on. Just used some tape at the top, bottom, and middle on both sides (as that's how it was before I removed it). It didn't "adhere" like it did before I removed it....... I tried rubbing air bubbles out with my finger tips, but just didn't stick like before. I thought maybe a light mist of water or something, but didn't know if there was actually a right way to do it.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #6 
Alex09

Hate to say it, but that purple plant is not aquatic. It is called "purple waffle plant" and is terrestrial. The plant will eventually drown and start fouling your water. I suggest you take it out and stick it in a pot or vase with water. The grass I am not sure. It looks like mondo grass. If this is the case then this plant also needs to be taken out as it is also terrestrial.

Sources:
http://www.sydneycichlid.com/non-aquatic-plants.htm

Last edited by Alex09; 12-31-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

Update: Got the background to "stick". Just pulled it off from one side, gave it a fine mist of water spray, and laid it back over the glass, rubbing out the bubbles. Looks 99.2% better. Hopefully, it will stay that way. We'll see....