Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 
chargers505

What substrate is the most eye pleasing??

Hi guys! This is my first post on this forum. I am planning on getting a halfmoon betta tomorrow. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank and will set it up today. I don't want to go with the regular gravel you see in every aquarium...it just doesn't look that nice. So that leads me to my question. What substrate looks the best in your opinion? I know sand is out of the question, since bettas and accidently swallow sand.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 
Neelie

i dont use any gravel in my 2.5g caus it makes life SO much easier with water changes BUT if you want to use gravel, use the small natural coloured. its very pretty imo.

you can see it in this pic

Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 
chargers505

But wouldn't it be better to have gravel than to not have any gravel? I heard that's where a lot of the good bacteria lives?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #4 
Alex09

Sand is ok. Gravel is ok. I personally like the look of natural gravel. In my tank I mixed natural gravel with black gravel and I love the look. So does Bella:

Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #5 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
But wouldn't it be better to have gravel than to not have any gravel? I heard that's where a lot of the good bacteria lives?
Only if you cycle, but a 2.5g is easiest to handle with water changes every 4 - 5 days. For which gravel is very hindering... so because i think my way is least maintenance, looks quite ok and my fish are very happy without substrate id recommend that lol
Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #6 
chargers505

Oh that's beautiful, Alex. Does Bella have any female betta tankmates? So far I've narrowed it down to the natural look or the modern look. Modern look will consist of fine black gravel mixed with gray gravel. Let's hope it turns out nice.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 
chargers505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
Only if you cycle, but a 2.5g is easiest to handle with water changes every 4 - 5 days. For which gravel is very hindering... so because i think my way is least maintenance, looks quite ok and my fish are very happy without substrate id recommend that lol
So cycling is not a necessity??
Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #8 
Alex09

Quote:
Oh that's beautiful, Alex. Does Bella have any female betta tankmates? So far I've narrowed it down to the natural look or the modern look. Modern look will consist of fine black gravel mixed with gray gravel. Let's hope it turns out nice.
Nope. She's a queen :P

In a smaller unfiltered tank you dont really have to worry about the beneficial bacteria as you have to do complete water changes anyways. IF you do want to cycle it then most of the bacteria should be able to live inside the filter. So even then, gravel is not 100% necessary. Its just there for looks.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #9 
Neelie

Quote:
So cycling is not a necessity??
no no. its not even possible to cycle a 2.5g reliably.
5g + you can cycle. anything under is just water changing.

your routine for those tanks (same as 4 of mine) should be water change every 4-5 days. no gravel makes your life SO much easier... ake me 10min to do all 4 tanks. mine;

use a small heater for them.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #10 
sayurasem

white sand is the best specially with dark rich colored bettas.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote