Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 
bloo97

Five Lined Skinks

So this Spring, I plan on catching a 5-Lined Skink and calling it my own. Do you have any tips for catching lizards? Last year I tried to, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't. Don't know what they look like?

They sure are cute. But Do you have any tips for catching one of these buggers? I tried using my spare betta net, but that wouldn't cut it.

Or, do you know any other lizards that are easy to catch? Last year I found a bright green lizard, and he wouldn't run away. I wonder what species that is.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

I never recommend keeping wild caught lizards! They are far too prone to stress and often already filled with parasites!

If you want a lizard I would suggest going to a convention--you can find animals who were born in captivity and they are also cheaper than going to a petstore(and healthier)

If it was green it was probably a green anole. Sometimes when lizards are afraid they will die they will 'give up' and just lay with their eyes closed waiting to be eaten!

A lot of people go 'field herping' where they go and catch and photograph reptiles, but don't take them from their homes! They don't generally tame down and stress is a big killer of reptiles
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #3 
shinybetta

The only wild lizards I've kept are alligator lizards. Mine were very friendly, and climbed onto my hand to enjoy the heat. I had one for three years before I had to release him. He was really fun!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 
Tsuhei

The only lizards I remember catching were stump toed geckos and anoles in Hawaii when I was very little.. Geckos are impossible to catch without a net in my honest opinion...

Anoles are extremely easy to catch. They ARE fast, but they tend to like to hang out under house supports... their tails look like vines on the side you can see, but they're actually on the other side. The trick is to be very gentle when pulling them out...you can rip off their tail... the best way to do it is scare them out by putting your hand in front of where their face might be...they'll double back, and at that moment, you can use your thumb and forefinger to grab them around their "waist". Of course, I was bitten each time, but it didn't hurt them! That's all that matters, right?

Best way to catch a lizard is through distraction and carefully planned, calm movements. If you dash at them, you'll never catch one, especially head-on.

But I personally would catch lizards to look at them and release them...not to keep them as pets. If they've lived long enough to reach adulthood in the wild, then they deserve to stay out there. I would go to a convention or an exotic species website to purchase a lizard. ;)
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 
bloo97

Thanks for the advise!

If I catch a lizard, I will keep it for a while, then release it. But I like the idea of a petstore or convention. I'll look into that. at my LFS they have big lizards. I just want a small one. But i'll look. :P
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

It's not a petstore convention, it's actually breeders. Picture aquabid sellers all together in a big room, but with reptiles.

I think you would LOVE a leopard gecko! They are precious, stay small, are good with handling, and are very hardy. They need a 10 or 20 gallon tank(or tub of equivalent size) and will happily eat crickets and mealworms! They come in a lot of colors and all have cute personalities!

Plus they won't be as stressed as something taken from the wild! They will have been born and raised. Also, be careful about state laws, some places don't like you to catch wild reptiles.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
bloo97

Cool!

I just hope my folks won't mind. They have a thing with reptiles...
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

Uh, you might want to check on that whether you buy a gecko or catch one.. Just like bettas, reptiles are cold blooded and have specific heat and space requirements! You'll need a digital thermometer, a big enough tank, hides, food..

Just make sure it's ok first ;)

And if they question..just show them how cute they are, and how like the bettas they have a nice tank to stay in(although leopard geckos are great for handling!)..and leopard geckos can't climb! So if they are still 'icky' to your parents..tell them they don't need to worry about escapes!

I mean come on! :3 they are angels!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 
bloo97

They are so cute! :D Love them!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 
bloo97

OKay. I'm hooked.

Tell me 'bout them. What is the minimum requirements for a tank? What do they eat? Do they swim? Can you show me yours? (If you have one...)

Tags
gecko, leapard, leapard gecko, lizard