Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #21 
purplemuffin

I don't actually think I have a full habitat picture, and I am leaving for college so I don't think I can really get you one! I can show you some neat ideas!

The little letters were just to show what everything is, but it's fairly explanatory! H is a heatpad though! Hehe

They can be simple like this one:

Or something more extravegant!

Either way, as long as you have the basics, you will have a happy baby!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #22 
bloo97

Awesome!

Well, I found a 10 gallon plastic bin by measuring Lucky's 5 gallon and putting that x2. I have paper towels, I can get a thermometer, I have a hot lamp, lids for food, water, and calcium, so all I would need to buy is...

Thermometer & Calcium. And the lizard, of course. That would bring me to about $65! Yeehaw! Now I just need to conince my folks. Tips? (Besides the acting responcible all of a sudden. :P)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #23 
purplemuffin

Well, honestly if you can handle water changes, you can handle simply replacing the paper towels at the bottom of the tank when they get dirty! Leopard geckos I think are great pets, they are still easy pets, but they are easy to maintain and the stuff you buy will last you forever! They are cute, they don't make noise, they don't make a mess, and they are less likely to bite you than a hamster! They are in the tank 24/7 except for occasional handling(Which should be avoided for the first week or so anyway to let him or her settle in)...

The best thing--they are 'out of the way', it's not like a dog running around the house, it's a thing in a tank!

If your parents are anti crickets(which I understand, they are gross!) Mealworms are so easy and can be a fine staple diet for your gecko! Most leo owners leave a bowl full of mealworms for the gecko to munch at when he wants during the day/night! If you don't want to touch them you can use tongs or tweezers!

#1: Be mature about it! That's the best thing you can do in any situation with parents!
#2: Knowledge is power! If you can ease their fears or worries about a gecko getting loose in the house, etc. etc. Let them know about the animal and how cool and easy they are! These are considered one of the #1 first pets!
#3: Give them time to get used to the idea, sometimes parents can be overwhelmed by their perceptions of 'icky' things and then suddenly their kid wants one..in the house?! Don't badger, just remind them it would have a tank with a lid, it can't climb anyway.. And you are willing to wait for it XD

Say you have done your research, you know what you need, you can afford it, and you can handle owning one easily! Plus the parents never have to see it out of it's tank if they don't want to! Haha.. My mom actually fell in love with mine after I brought him home!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 01-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #24 
bloo97

Wow, thanks! I will tell them that. :P

So do you have any tips just for good keeping? Any "Tricks Of The Trade", I guess?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #25 
purplemuffin

You want to feed them small prey, the width between the gecko's eyes is good. Live food is best, and 'gut loading' is key to a healthy gecko.. Basically before you give the mealworms to the gecko let the mealworms munch on some vegetables.. What goes into the food goes into your gecko!

When you start out with the new baby, he will be shy, give him a week where you don't handle.. You can spot clean the cage to get him used to your hands being there, but try as little interaction as possible, let him get used to his new digs! After that you can begin to slowly get him accustomed to handling on 'his' terms, eventually he will let you hold him and will calm down!

When he begins to shed, turn one of the hides into a 'humid hide' where you put moist paper towels in to raise the humidity. Keep an eye out for stuck sheds on toes! If they won't come off after a while, give him a warm soak, not to where he has to swim, but to where it is to his shoulder about.. Warm not hot water, like 80s.

They get hyper when they are in feeding mode, so be careful about hand feeding, they might bite ya! Doesn't really hurt but you don't want to encourage that behavior! Funny thing is they will chase laser lights sometimes hehe. We found that out on accident.

Mm.. Feed every other day. Babies should eat as much as they want, juvies and adults should eat as much as they want for like 5-10 minutes, don't let them keep eating after that! They are chubby but we don't want them too fat!

The biggest thing is the correct temperatures! If you get them warm enough they can be forgiving with other care, if not, it just causes all other problems. If they are too cold they cannot digest their food, leading to impactions which can kill them! So keep them warm! :)

Keep an eye out on their sheds(they will eat these by the way), you can see if humidity is a problem by how long it takes them to shed and if they seem to struggle with it.. Keep an eye out on their poop, you can tell if they are sick by any changes in it or change in frequency, etc.

Edit: http://www.herpcenter.com/leopard-ge...heet-page.html

this caresheet is another good one, and I actually generally agree with the views on this reptile forum anyway, they can be harsh, but it's because they want the best for the animals. But I agree with this care sheet! :)

Last edited by purplemuffin; 01-02-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #26 
bloo97

Wow, thanks! One last question my folks asked me. What about the smell? Is it really bad? How far does it spread.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #27 
purplemuffin

As long as you keep the cage clean there really isn't an odor.. Maybe if you lean in and sniff?? Poop smells, but leos like to poop in one spot, you can easily have a spare folded paper towel in the corner they choose to poop on, and just take that out and replace it every time they go to the bathroom! If it smells, run over the decorations and tank with hot water, clean it.. Etc. Our dog smells worse!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #28 
bloo97

Hahaha! Thanks! I should probably go. Thanks for the advice, and if I have any more questions I'll PM. :P
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #29 
purplemuffin

Alright :) :) Glad I could help! I love leopard geckos.. Precious things!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I learned a lot about leos from reading this thread. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gecko, leapard, leapard gecko, lizard