Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
Creat

Red face Things I learned from a traumatized spawn

So today I finally moved the spawn I had to a smaller container I found 4 fry !!!! *bounces up and down* this is a great achievement from what has happened to them. So I learned that my new male is very skidish with his nest and ate the fry down to 20 before I removed him. Then with he die out that occurred left me with 7 when I started feeding them. Then the little guys at 2 weeks old I could barely see their tails were transported over 200 miles by car. Then survived a week without food because I left it 200 miles away. I still am ashamed of that so then I ordered more but found some at an LFS that never caries micro worms so now I have 2 cultures lol. This isnt a great high quality fish spawn its more of my hobby line so I'm not annoyed by the output but I love all of them even if there small for their age which is expected. They are now 4 weeks old and are only about a cm long some smaller. But two have started to color up, one has a hint of red another blue but they are both solid dragon like their father. I have learned that the best way to transport very young fry is to minimize the water movement( I lost 2 in transport due to being shaken) , keep them warm like any other fish and move them to the original water slowly. And keep as much of the original water as best as possible. Pictures will come soon hopefully if my camera behaves *beats it against wall*
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about the loss of your fry but at least you learned from your mistakes and can pass what you learned along to others.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #3 
Creat

Ha ha thank you sad part is in a week I have to move them back. I still havent found a sure fire way to move such young fry.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

I wonder how you could safely move them. Bags, styrofoam, heat packs?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 
Creat

I ended up putting them inside a large plastic container in fear they would get trapped in corners of bags. I also had them in a cooler with heat packs but when the road got rough I ended up just holding them in the cab after I found the two dead to try to minimize the shaking and keep the rest alive.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

There has to be some way of transporting them. I say, pack like your shipping.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

To minimize shaking, try putting your fry in some sort of cup or bowl with a tight lid. Then put it in a plastic bag and let it hang - don't hold onto the bowl, don't lean it on something. The bag may swing but the bowl should get little inertia.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #8 
Creat

oh I like that idea indjo i might try that one on the way back