Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #1 
small fry

Can I keep a betta in an unheated tank?

I have heard of many people keeping bettas in an unheated tank. Is this Ok as long as the tempreture of the room feels fine (and the temp range doesn't get too high or low)?

I could take it on trips with me if the weather was going to be cold. Just so I can monitor the tempreture. Is that Ok, or will that over-stress my betta (and make him not like me for it)?

I am abit short on cash, and I don't want to make an irresponsible choice. That is why I am asking.

Thanks!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #2 
Malvolti

You shouldn't but as long as the room temperature is in the 76-80 range it should be okay. Just make sure you have a thermometer so you can watch the temp closely for changes and be ready with some blankets and some of those travel heat packs that are often used in shipping just incase.

Technically yes a Betta can survive in cooler water but it makes them more susceptible to illness.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

If you live in warmer climates, it might not be necessary. If your house drops below 76 degrees F, then I would invest in the heater.

They ideally need to be in a steady 78-80 degrees F. Note the steady. You don't want the temp to fluctuate much at all, because it can cause problems and make your betta sick. I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #4 
small fry

Well, here in Texas I am running the AC through the winter (except on a couple nights occasionally). It must be 89*F in the house. It is a chore to keep the tanks from overheating in the summer!

I might just get a betta in the spring (when it never gets too cold) and save for a heater for the fall.

I still don't know if it is the right choice, though. Maybe I am just being too selfish.

I'll think about it.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 
Juneii

I don't see why not... as long as you aren't living in freezing temperatures then the betta fish should be fine. My house is really cold and I have a nonadjustable heater to keep him warm (I can't afford the $35 adjustable heater). It keeps the tank around 70 F and Neptune doesn't seem to mind or act much different than when he was in my dorm room (78 F).
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #6 
Jupiter

Yeah, it really depends on where you live...I mean, I like to keep my room in the 60's year round, so I definitely need a heater for y fish...but if your house is warm and the temperatures don't fluctuate, you'll be okay without one.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #7 
Akzeal

I also don't have a heater, because my apartment is 78-82 at any given time. I would recommend a little thermometer, just so you know for a fact that the water is a good temp, but if your home is warm enough, it will keep the water warm enough.
Akzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #8 
small fry

IMO thermometers are a must, heated tank or unheated tank. If I did something like this, I would pick up the thermometer ($1.63USD) with the fish.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #9 
Neelie

well by the sound of it yeah id try it anyways. saves electricity. check the thermometer and see what temps your getting without it sure
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #10 
fflores

only 2 things comes from texas.... j/k.... sounds like you might have to fight to keep the tank cool enough if the house is always up in the high 80's.

Step 1 is to get a thermometer, any will do, can get fancy digital remote types or simply float in types, they are only a couple of bucks, usually under $3 for the simple ones. From there, you will know what you have to do.

good luck
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote