Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #21 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Drax looks much better!

Your java fern looks great, your anacharis looks terrible though. If it's not growing you should throw it out. The leaves are rotting.
UPDATES: AS of... well just came back from doing the cleaning... JUST A 50% water change I swear!

Drax: *Grumbles* His eye I don't know it's sorta bad again... otherwise he's fantastic... then again it's his fault I think he tried wedging between two shells and sorta caught his eye slightly and all I could do was go "OOOHHH... that HAD To hurt..." ( I've moved the two shells apart alittle) He just like's squeezing in little places!

Java: Well if you all say it's fine... then it is...

Anacharis: When I was Gravel Vacing it fell apart... and broke from the anchor... Part of me REALLY wanted to just trash it UNTIL I saw several new branch offs from the dying parts... meaning... it's coming back and a few stems have new little dangly root things. I'm just floating it now >,> that plastic floating cup thing... with the holes I just looped all the stems through that and anchored the cup with a rubberband to something outside the tank so it doesn't float around too much and stays in the light. Before I did that though I took each stem... filled the vase with water and swished each stem around to knock off dying leaves... it looks SOOO much better now that I've done that haha. Didn't really cut the dead parts... since I'm being so OCD with the cleaning there probably is no Ammonia for the Bacteria to munch on... so I feel I should just let the rotting pieces rot.

Food: I think Drax is part Scavenger! He eats like a pig... then if he knows he missed a piece I'll see him hours later scrounging around the bottom of the tank and every now and then he'll find a missed pellet and eat it. He's doing my future Cories job XD. And he's not starving... he gets 2 pellets and 2 small bits of FD bloodworms twice a day.

Film: I fiddled with the sponge again... now the Film is gone HOORAY!

Salt: I panicked alittle... and for the whole 5Gals I changed I just put 1tsp of Epsom... Well I was told to Ween him off it haha.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #22 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
UPDATES: AS of... well just came back from doing the cleaning... JUST A 50% water change I swear!

Drax: *Grumbles* His eye I don't know it's sorta bad again... otherwise he's fantastic... then again it's his fault I think he tried wedging between two shells and sorta caught his eye slightly and all I could do was go "OOOHHH... that HAD To hurt..." ( I've moved the two shells apart alittle) He just like's squeezing in little places!

Java: Well if you all say it's fine... then it is...

Anacharis: When I was Gravel Vacing it fell apart... and broke from the anchor... Part of me REALLY wanted to just trash it UNTIL I saw several new branch offs from the dying parts... meaning... it's coming back and a few stems have new little dangly root things. I'm just floating it now >,> that plastic floating cup thing... with the holes I just looped all the stems through that and anchored the cup with a rubberband to something outside the tank so it doesn't float around too much and stays in the light. Before I did that though I took each stem... filled the vase with water and swished each stem around to knock off dying leaves... it looks SOOO much better now that I've done that haha. Didn't really cut the dead parts... since I'm being so OCD with the cleaning there probably is no Ammonia for the Bacteria to munch on... so I feel I should just let the rotting pieces rot.

Food: I think Drax is part Scavenger! He eats like a pig... then if he knows he missed a piece I'll see him hours later scrounging around the bottom of the tank and every now and then he'll find a missed pellet and eat it. He's doing my future Cories job XD. And he's not starving... he gets 2 pellets and 2 small bits of FD bloodworms twice a day.

Film: I fiddled with the sponge again... now the Film is gone HOORAY!

Salt: I panicked alittle... and for the whole 5Gals I changed I just put 1tsp of Epsom... Well I was told to Ween him off it haha.
My Betta must be a pig then, he eats about 6-7 bits of bloodworms in the evening, and again at night lmao. It'd be so much nicer if they made eye patches for fish, dontcha agree?
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #23 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
My Betta must be a pig then, he eats about 6-7 bits of bloodworms in the evening, and again at night lmao. It'd be so much nicer if they made eye patches for fish, dontcha agree?
I probably should just give in and give Drax what he wants to eat. He's never had a bloating issue... well... alittle now and then but like... Stage 1 out of 5 bloating... just barely noticeable.

Yeah patches would be nice but could you imagine getting it on them >,>

Also... forgot to mention this random thing...

Err... Drax's tail isn't so much like... rotting but it's losing color around the edges and becoming clear, I first thought this was new growth but... it seems to be going in the wrong direction could this just be part of him being a 'MARBLE'?????

I know I posted this pic but... it's the most recent and if you Ctrl+ you can zoom in on it and see this 'Clear Hem' I speak of. It's not rot though... just... clear.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #24 
KennyBooBear

Haha it'd be a struggle, that's for sure.

I have no idea what rot looks like tbh, but if his tail is becoming clear, well needless to say, that'd be pretty shnazzy looking. Blue and red fish with clear fins.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #25 
baylee767

I'm so glad he's doing better =D

What a wierd coincidence. You were given the weakest, sickest Betta with the smallest chance of being healthy with his popped eye and clamped fins, while everyone else got big active healthy Bettas.

Then you nursed Drax back to health and got him a huge home while those healthy Bettas rotted away in half gallon homes. So Drax went from the weakest to the strongest... good job.

IDK about the clear fins though. I think it's new fin growth. And about the Anarchis, I read they tend to do that where they die in new water conditions and then sprout healthy anarchis plants. Alex09 reccomends cutting off the new shoots and creating a new bundle with them and throwing out your dead Anarchis.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #26 
DormDrax

... Yeah...

One of my good friends from the Dorm just had her Betta 'Leroy' die. Wait a minute... Leroy? I thought she had a female named 'Leslie' ... oh thats right she had two...

As for the Anacharis... mmmm the filter is doing really well at sucking up leaves that drop off and I'm sure it's giving something for the bacteria to munch on (My water changes have probably REALLY slowed down the cycling).

So I'm going to give in an just not touch the water for awhile. *Bites Nails* Maybe a week.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #27 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
So I'm going to give in an just not touch the water for awhile. *Bites Nails* Maybe a week.
We have a new guest here at cleanaholics anonymous. Why dontcha stand up and introduce yourself? lol

So am just curious, your dorms basically gave all those residing there Betta fish? That's actually quite shnazzy. Which thing have you done so far that's had the biggest impact on Drax's health? I'd like to be prepared in the event I ever have a similar issue, and it sounds as though you've got a fairly good handle on things. Especially considering everyone else's fish are dying lol
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #28 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
We have a new guest here at cleanaholics anonymous. Why dontcha stand up and introduce yourself? lol

So am just curious, your dorms basically gave all those residing there Betta fish? That's actually quite shnazzy. Which thing have you done so far that's had the biggest impact on Drax's health? I'd like to be prepared in the event I ever have a similar issue, and it sounds as though you've got a fairly good handle on things. Especially considering everyone else's fish are dying lol
It was kinda sudden..
I knew the Dorm Event was about 'Fishing for Understanding'

They had tons of different stones and gravel and Gems you got a vase... and then from the labels next to each stone jar gravel gems etc was a label like... "Hetero, Lesbian, Gay, Bi.... or I have 1 sibling, I have 3-4 siblings etc or my parents are working class, middle class, high class. I am Caucasion, mixed, chinese... etc you get the drift.

Once we did that and washed out the items we were given treated water, flakes and then a betta and a decent care sheet (Wasnt horrid it went as far as to mention water changes often for the vase and to use a conditioner).

Yet... you know some people they won't do anything else and my friend who set up the event said she was going to tally whose Betta's were alive before we all left for Christmas break.

The results were pretty sad... Drax and just a few others were the only survivors from the total of 60 bettas they handed out. Only 60, there was a sign in sheet... I was 2nd on it.

Lucky for Drax I'm a paranoid pet owner so I of course did everything to make him happy as soon as I brought him home. (and found this site).
Thats what alot of people here don't see... he's at my house, not the dorm anymore haha. You can only have up to a 5gal at the dorms.... Drax is in a 10gal.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

It was just pleasure to read ur threads how u care about bettas. But the last one definitely heartbreaking. I hope those people will know about outcome and next time think and be responsible before they do projects with something alive. I also don't understand how other people don't care and don't think.

Also i just went to pet store and the betta food i usually buy they stopped ordering it. They have flakes which are huge and poor betta can't even eat them and pellets which is size of betta eye.

Oh it not right.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #30 
gopal87

Hey, hope Drax improves. But, I just noticed something... in all the pics you posted on this thread, doesn't Drax seem to be flaring at his reflection from the bottom of his tank [the patches that are not covered by gravel]? if you notice that he is, then he's going to super stress himself out.
gopal87 is offline   Reply With Quote