Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Good place to buy shrimp?

Making a planted tank. Soil capped with sand, heavily planted. Home to one betta and hopefully 2 cherry femals (or more) and a male as well as some trumpet snails and ramshorn snails.
I may wait on buying them for a while until the weather is a little kinder to live transport.
But all suggestions will be appreciated! :) I am doing lots of research before starting up the tank.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #2 
weluvbettas

You can order them online but if you only want 3 there's not much point as shipping would be more than the shrimp. The rule for shrimp is about 10 shrimp per gallon of water. :) I would just find a lfs that sells shrimp and pick out some males and females. :) Hope this helped.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #3 
Malvolti

Anywhere that sells them. Just make sure the shrimp are at least 1 inch long or they are snack size for a Betta. Other than that it sounds like a pretty good set up.

Don't think I would do 10 shrimp per gallon. I have 2 in a 3 gallon and they seem more than enough. They often have to race each other to get to food.

Last edited by Malvolti; 01-01-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 
weluvbettas

Well thats the rule. :) I have 25 shrimp in a 4 gallon ! They breed like CRAZY!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #5 
Malvolti

I'm not saying it isn't the rule or even a bad thing. It just seems like a LOT of shrimp to me. Don't they blanket the tank? How do you even feed that many?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6 
weluvbettas

No not really. Mine dont walk around alot just stay in one place. And then dash around. They go crazy at feeding time. Just plop in a algae wafer and your good to go. :)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 
kholder

I purchased 5 ghost shrimp...got home and there were six in the bag. My plan is/was 3 in with a betta in a 10 gal. and 2 in with a betta in a 5 gal. (now I'll probably do 4 and 2).

I really don't want to sign up with another site if my question can be answered here, so I'll give it go...

5 of my new shrimp are mostly clear/glassy looking except for what appears to be normal "inards". 1 shrimp has what looks like a ball of white cottony stuff nearer his tail than his head...just a ball of it..otherwise the rest of this guy is completely see-through.

In some preliminary internet research it appears he may have a worm. So, these are my questions:

1) Should I go ahead and put him in with the betta and just see what happens? Why?

2) Should I put him in a QT tank and see what happens and treat somehow? Why?

3) Should I just cul this guy? If so, why?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #8 
Malvolti

Your best option in my opinion is 2. If it is a worm you don't want to spread it around your tank but if the shrimp can be saved then you shouldn't kill it. I know they cost less than a dollar in most places but can you really put a dollar value on life?

As for how to treat? I would imagine an anti-parasitic or anti-worm medicine should work. Maybe some food soaked in garlic.