Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 
Busted

GloFish® Information you might not know

Well these are very eye catching fish but I was researching a bit on them and found some rather neat information. So, I though I would share Also I have been thinking about getting some for my community tank, that or basically the same fish just not neon colors the Zebra Danio. Hope you learn something new, and I posted this here cause it has nothing to do with Bettas. If the mods want it moved feel free ^_^.

The Science of GloFish®

Where do GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish come from?
GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated. The first step in developing a pollution-detecting fish was to create fish that would be fluorescent all the time. Scientists soon realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research, a process which lead to GloFish® fluorescent fish.

How common is the use of fluorescent zebrafish in science?
For over a decade, fluorescent zebrafish have been relied upon by scientists worldwide to better understand important questions in genetics, molecular biology, and vertebrate development. Fluorescent zebrafish have been particularly helpful in understanding cellular disease and development, as well as cancer and gene therapy.

Where does the fluorescent color come from?
The fluorescent color in our fish is produced by a fluorescent protein gene, which creates the beautiful fluorescence that can be seen when looking at the fish. The fluorescent protein genes occur naturally, and are derived from marine organisms.

Do you have to add a fluorescence gene to every fish before it hatches?
No. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent zebrafish that were originally developed several years ago. Each new GloFish® fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and passes the color along to its offspring.

How exactly do GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish help in the fight against pollution?
To achieve their goal of helping to fight water pollution, scientists are hoping to one day develop a ‘switch’ that will cause always-fluorescing zebrafish to selectively fluoresce in the presence of environmental toxins. A non-fluorescing fish will signal that the water is safe, while a fluorescing fish will signal trouble. To help further the research, a portion of the proceeds from sales of all GloFish® fluorescent fish goes directly to the lab where these fish were created. For more information on this project, please review the article entitled “Zebrafish as Pollution Indicators,” by the National University of Singapore.

What are the differences between fluorescent zebrafish and other zebrafish?
Aside from their brilliant color, fluorescent zebrafish are the same as other zebrafish. This includes everything from general care and temperature preferences to growth rate and life expectancy.

Does the fluorescence harm the fish?
No. The fish are as healthy as other zebrafish in every way. Scientists originally developed them several years ago by adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish eggs before they hatched. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of these original fish.

Exactly how is the fluorescent protein gene added to the fish?
Every line of GloFish® fluorescent fish (i.e., GloFish® Starfire Red® Zebra, GloFish® Electric Green® Zebra, and GloFish® Sunburst Orange® Zebra) starts with a single fish. The general process of developing fluorescent fish, as illustrated in this chart, begins by adding a fluorescence gene to the fish before it hatches from its egg. Once the gene integrates into the genome (i.e., genetic code) of the embryo, the developing fish will be able to pass the fluorescence gene along to its offspring upon maturity. Because of this, the gene only needs to be added to one embryo; from that point forward, all subsequent fluorescent fish are the result of traditional breeding.

Are you going to create more fluorescent fish?
Scientists all around the world are working with fluorescent fish, whether it's to help protect the environment or come up with new disease-fighting drug therapies. As more fluorescent fish become available, they may be offered for sale to the public.

Credit/Information found at:
http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #2 
Duncan13

Nice Info! I learned some new things!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 
fflores

its been done before to many different animals to prove how gene can be triggered.

Though one can have a debate on how ethical animal testing is, there is no doubt that much can be and has been learned from such experiments.
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #4 
Dragonlady

Did you know that some color varieties of glofish have red eyes?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #5 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Did you know that some color varieties of glofish have red eyes?
No I did not :o They are pretty cool looking fish though sooo bright xD feel like a fly staring at a bug zapper
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote