Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1 
turtle10

Question How many corys?

A few questions:
1) I am planning on getting a Betta in a few weeks but I need to cycle my tank first. I plan on using the shrimp method. It is a ten gallon and so far I have a heater, under gravel filter, gravel, two silk plants, and a sunken "battleship" for the Betta to hide in. Is this enough to start cycling my tank?

2) Would 1 male Betta and six panda corys be over stocking it? There would be weekly water changes of course.

3) Can I put the corys in the tank while it is cycling?

4) Who should go in first, Betta or corys?

5) When using the Shrimp Cycling Method, can I put in live plants before the cycle is through?

Thanks so much everyone, I just want to get it right this time.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

1. You will need to have more plants if you are going to add Corys.. Live planys would be best.
2. No, its the perfect amount of fish.
3. It would be best if you didnt.
4. Add in the Corys first.. So the Betta is less likely to be aggressive as he hasnt established his "territory" yet.
5. Sure.
note: some Bettas cant be housed with other first because they are just too aggressive which is too stressful for them. So be sure to have a back up plan if it doesnt work out.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #3 
turtle10

Okay so I'll wait until after the cycle is over for corys. I have an extra 5 gallon I could put the corys in if the Betta doesn't like them. I hope thats big enough.

I am not really sure if I would have the room for a ten and a five gallon, so I might just do a shrimp or two.

What is the least aggressive shrimp? I have read that they can sometimes pinch at the fins and go after the Betta while it is asleep.

Also, just in case the corys and shrimp don't work out, is there anything I can do to, uh, "entertain" my betta? I don't want him to be bored lol.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

Ghost Shrimp are on sale at Petsmart for 33Cents each!!
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
Alex09

I wouldnt get 6 cories AND shrimp. There would be too much competition for food on the tank floor. So make it cories OR shrimp. I would do the cories first. If they dont work out you can always take them back to the store you bought them at even if the return period has expired (they may not give you your money back but they will still take them). You could also donate them to a good LFS if you are concerned about their well being (rather than giving them to a crappy petsmart or petco). However, Problems between bettas and cories are almost rare.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
turtle10

Okay, I will do the corys.

Tags
cat fish, corys, cycling, panda, stocking