Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #1 
MissKristie

New crown tail betta-some questions

Hi! A few days ago, a friend bought me a new crowntail betta for a present. However, she brought it to me already in a .95 gallon tank that she said she had set up 48 hours before adding the fish. Reading this site, I realized that is not enough time for the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle to begin, so does that mean my betta is subjected to a 'fish-in cycle'? And is his tank too small? He is only about two inches long. Also, the instructions with the tank said not to feed him for the first 24 hours in the tank, but after that, just 3-4 pellets a day right? And I should probably invest in a heater too, right?
I'm sorry, I know this is long, but I want to make sure that my betta has a healthy tank & life that is not ruined just because he is my first betta. Thanks!
MissKristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
fleetfish

It's recommended that bettas have at least 2.5 gallons or more of space. Pellets are good, but if you can find some frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia in the frozen section of your pet store, it's good to feed these along with the pellets. And yes, a heater is essential for good health. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask us, and good luck with your new buddy :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
It's recommended that bettas have at least 2.5 gallons or more of space. Pellets are good, but if you can find some frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia in the frozen section of your pet store, it's good to feed these along with the pellets. And yes, a heater is essential for good health. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask us, and good luck with your new buddy :)
+1 Hope you enjoy your new fish!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 
celine18

you don't need to worry about cycling in a container that's under 5 gallons. have fun with your new guy! :)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum and to betta keeping :)

You'll want to get a tank that's larger for him so you can properly heat it. 2.5 is considered the minimum, you can get a medium sized critter keeper for eleven dollars or a 5 gallon tank from walmart for about 30 dollars. Heaters tend to be a bit more expensive, though if you get quality heaters you'll have something that can last a life time.

In the mean time, do one hundred percent water changes every other day in the tank you have, and try to keep him warm. If you have any tubberwares that are larger (about 2 gallons), you could use that as a temporary aquarium in the meantime, and that'd lower your water changes to 2-3 50% a week and a hundred percent a week as well.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-01-2011 at 11:26 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote