Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #1 
Sweeda88

Heater help.

I'm getting a couple of submersible heaters today, and I was wondering how I go about installing them. Do I need to take the fish out of the tanks first? Do I need to keep them out while the water heats? BTW, these are preset heaters (78*). Does that make any difference in what I need to do? Thanks.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #2 
monroe0704

If you can, I'd get an adjustable submersible. I really didn't think it'd make a huge difference, but it does (owner of 3 non adjustable, 2 adjustable)! You won't need to do anything fancy... just put it in the water and plug it in. The heater works so slowly that it won't affect your fish, it's basically a great way to acclimate them to the new temp haha. The non adjustable actually don't hold the 78 degree claim.. in fine print it'll say that they'll only raise the tank temp a few degrees above the temp in your house.. so if you have a cooler house it'll keep it at 76 or lower, etc.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 
monroe0704

Our house is kept at 72-74ish and the tank with those non adjustables are constantly 76 degrees :/ good thing the bettas seem ok with it... but definitely not where it should be. I'm upgrading the others soon!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Yes, I agree. A adjustable is a lot easier to use.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

Sorry, I already got the preset. I couldn't afford to get the adjustables.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #6 
hailukah

I'm using the low-cost non-adjustable heater from Wal-Mart, and it keeps my water at about 77F constantly. My room temp varies from 60 F to 75 F. One night I think it got as cold as 55. Mine hasn't had any problems.

I think the wattage will make a big difference as to if it can keep a consistent temp. It seems to me that an in-tank heater with sufficient wattage would keep the water temperature near where the thermostat is set.* I couldn't image how room temp would affect a submersed thermostat. So as long as your not trying to heat a large tank with a 10 watt heater, you shouldn't have any problems.**

* The biggest problem I've read with preset heaters is that the thermostat isn't always accurate, but they should hold a steady temp even if that temp isn't exactly what is advertised.

** I've read that you shouldn't use too large a heater in a smaller tank either because you could over-heat the water and cook the fish. Again, that's what the thermostat is for. The water will heat faster with a higher wattage, but the thermostat should still cut the heat off at the correct temperature. But then again I haven't tested this aside from sticking my 50 Watt in a one-gallon vase while cleaning my 3 gallon tank. This one heater has been in one, three, and ten gallon tanks, and has maintained the same 76 - 77 F temp.

Last edited by hailukah; 01-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.
hailukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

All my heater's are adjustable, Only one is not working properly..as in heating the tank but leaving a cold spot..weird, but's it's held on for a good year.
I recommend adjustable's, just because they'll make u worry less ;)

Temp. is fairly important for the health of the fish..so I'd splurge on a good adjustable heater if nothing else, I recommend any one in the Hydor Theo line.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 
monroe0704

I wish you better luck with your non-adjustable than I've had! My fish aren't on death row from it, but I wish it was a higher temp...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

I can't "splurge" on a better heater right now. I only had $30 to spend, and I needed two. So I went with the non-adjustable. No offense, but not everyone has the money to splurge. Maybe I will get better ones in the future, but I honestly can't right now, and I'm not comfortable getting the ones that are cheaper at my LFS that only say Higher or Lower.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #10 
fflores

i just put my heater in my chi tank a few minutes ago... simple... place it in the tank, plug it in.... install project done
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote