Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 
DazzleKitty

Setting up my new tank

I cannot believe I missed this part of the forum when making a thread in the habitat forum about my new tank. I think I'll get more answers to a specific question of mine here.

I got an awesome 15 gallon tank for Christmas. Has most of the stuff I need (filter, light, etc). Happiness! I went shopping today and got my heater for it, thermometer, divider, and some gravel.

I have three bettas (all boys), but I am only going to put two in this tank and of course, they will have a divider.

I am wondering if I can put something else on each side. I know they like to be alone primarily, but I heard some bettas fare pretty well with other fish.

Someone recommended guppies (preferably ones that aren't colorful so my betta doesn't try to fight them). But I heard guppies can nip. Is this true?
Say I decide to go with some guppies....how many for one side? I heard three is good. Do they like small groups? I'll be sure to get all of one gender so they don't end up with hundreds of them. I heard those thing reproduce like mice.

I may be mistaken, but I think someone also said mollies are good with them. At Petsmart tonight, I saw what I believe were called dalmation mollies and I thought they were pretty awesome looking. Would those work? If so, how many on one side of the divider would be okay?

Any other species that typically go well with them? And if you recommend them, also put how many per side of the tank you think would be okay. I don't want crowding, obviously.

BUT, if you guys think it would be best to have them without other finned buddies, I am thinking of getting some ghost shrimp. I have heard several people here recommend them. I saw them for the first time ever tonight at Petsmart. I think they are really unique looking! I heard they eat debris ont he bottom of the tank which is always a big help. If most of you think it would just be best to go with shrimp and not other fish, I don't think I'd mind. I know bettas sometimes make a meal of them but I know these shrimp are pretty cheap so they'd be okay to replace off and on.

I know that if I do get finned tankmates, I need lots of hidey places for my bettas. That will be an easy task. I tend to spend too much on decorating my tanks as it is. ;)

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I just want to do it as right as possible for my first tank. I don't want to end up with battle-worn or dead fishies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by DazzleKitty; 01-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

If you do get guppies, 3 is fine for each side..you could even go with 4, make sure to get only females to prevent breeding, they are less colorful, and less aggressive. And Mollies need a larger tank more like a 15g+ so that wouldnt work. But Ghost Shrimp are fun as well, but they are known to shred Male Betta fins..but likely wont. Snails are always fun too. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 
DazzleKitty

Thanks for the help, crowntail lover! :)

Okay, so right now female guppies sound good. Would female guppies, a betta, and maybe one or two ghost shrimp per side work? Or would that be too much? I may just put guppies with one betta, and ghost shrimp with the other for variety.
Just read about cherry shrimp. Those are cool too. But I heard ghost shrimp are easier to care for.

I can't wait to stock the tank up. I'm so excited about it!
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

You could try the shrimp out as well. Just remember not all Betta can be housed with other fish.. So make sure to have a back plan.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 
shinybetta

True ghost shrimp will never shred fins. Only species sold as ghost shrimp, but actually aren't will attack. And they will only bite if very hungry. You could five ghost shrimp on each side. Your stocking plan sounds good.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote