Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #1 
Omboc

14 Gallon Aqueon

Hello everyone, I'm new here and am excited to get into the world of Betta fish!

I recently purchased a 14 gallon Aqueon starter kit complete with heater and filter for $47, a steal considering it was once $97. It wasn't listed on the Petco website but all the components were.

Has anyone had any previous experience with a kit like this? It came with the 50 watt Aqueon heater (http://www.petco.com/product/102603/Aqueon-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters.aspx?) and the 100 GPH Power Filter (http://www.petco.com/product/102601/...r-Filters.aspx). Do you think that this tank should be a good match for housing 2-3 Betta Fish?

Thanks a lot!
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #2 
shinybetta

You could do divided for 3-4 males or a female sorority with 7 or so. I would do a sorority, they are fun!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #3 
Omboc

I saw another user on here who bought the same kit, I think I'm going to use it for my first Betta right now, Eustice.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #4 
zelilaa

Oh~ you already have one? Too bad~ I'd soooo do a sorority! But if your only getting one in a 14 gallon tank I'd add in some pygmy cories :3
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 
Bettame

Well, I just bought that one recently too. I had to return the heater to Petco because it didn't work. But they did replace the heater with another one and it works just fine. Just have a thermometer inside to see the temperature. The Quiet Flow has a high current but the 14 gallon is for the mollies. For a betta fish, you might want to stuff the filter with one of those aquarium sponges to slow down the flow rate. Good luck with the tank.
Bettame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #6 
monroe0704

I got that tank too a few weeks ago :) It has worked wonderfully for my sorority. To stifle the filter flow I have taken a vine of silk plants and laid it right underneath... and that breaks it up enough for them. I don't have experience with it and male bettas though, sorry.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 
Omboc

How do you think the cories would fare in the tank with my Betta?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Nice, I just bought me this exact same kit like 3 hours ago. 39.99. Came to a little over 45 bucks after taxes which is a steal. The only thing it needs is the gravel if one plans to add live plants like I plan on doing.

My Betta is gonna enjoy his new digs soon as he is about to be xferred from his 5.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #9 
Omboc

How long should the cycling take for the tank to be habitable? I'm curious as to when I can add my Betta.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #10 
scootshoot

My betta will be going in soon as tank temp hits 78.

Don't overfeed and do partial water changes, I plan on doing 10pct changes or so once or twice a week.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote