Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #11 
turtle10

Question Ammonia down on day 2?

Okay so today I went to test my tank. It is day 2. The color said the ammonia was between .25 and .5 ppm. There are also no nitrites present yet. Is this normal? It was higher yesterday. Could this be because I added a vallis, java fern, and two anubias?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

It can take 4-8 weeks to cycle-with live plants it may take longer to see nitrAte due to the plants and their use of ammonia before it converts...even some mature heavy planted tank may never show nitrAte-based on livestock bioload...I have several heavy planted tanks that I have never got a nitrAte reading on and maintain 0ppm ammonia and nitrite

Nitrate is what you look for to tell you when the nitrogen cycle is complete-along with 0ppm ammonia and nitrite

Cycling with plants can be a bit harder when you rely on water pram number to tell you when the nitrogen cycle is finished

Usually with fishless cycle without plants keeping the ammonia in the 3ppm area you will see the nitrite spike in the 2-3 week area more or less as you see the ammonia decrease...pH, water temp, buffering, ammonia source among other things can change this time line.....fishless cycle varies from tank to tank-source water to source water...etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycling, shrimp